Sunday

The set up...




Late Friday night, I made my visit to Clancy's grave and sat and pondered the events that would follow the next day at the Scottish Festival in Columbus, Indiana.  The event is something we have done for the last couple of years to promote and educate people about the breed and to answers questions they have about the rescue aspect.  Last year, we had rain most of the weekend, and at one time I thought we had wasted our time, but at the end of the day, things happened that could be called miraculous.  As I walked back to the house this Friday night, I remembered saying in my mind, "Clancy, we're doing this for you."


As the next day started at 5:30 am, it was apparent that we needed to fine-tune our planning and be more prepared to jump out of bed and hit the road.  All in all, we got together and headed to the event after weeks of planning and gathering the materials needed.  I was excited to meet and greet the people that loved our breed, and we even met several couples who follow us on social media, and it was nice to put a face with a name.  Because we had set up the physical booth the night before the event opened, we had to fine-tune and place our photos and brochures in just the right locations.  There are several banners that we use that has Clancy's picture on them along with the business cards and fliers and this is the issue with me.


As I unroll the large photos, I again come face to face with Clancy, and at times, I have to look away and wipe my eye.  Everything comes back from that secret spot in my mind where I think I'm doing okay, and then I realize I'm not.  As I linger throughout the day, speaking to people about our foundation, I find out we have things in common.  When they ask, "Who was Clancy," and with broken speech, "he was my dog," and I go through the story about his life and passing and how we started the "Dream."  Soon I find out that I am not alone, and they too, tell me about their Heart dog and the love they shared along with the passing of their dog and in a way, it is therapeutic, and we tear up together and sometimes hug.  If you have ever had a dog that took your whole heart and gave you theirs, you understand, and at times, I pity some that never have.


The day was a success, but it will be followed by another one Sunday morning, and we will do it all again.  We talked with many people who wanted to help, foster, and even transport for us, and we are growing more because of the people that want to be part of the Dream.  


As I got home Saturday after a 14-hour day on my feet, I crashed, my back hurt, my feet hurt, and my head hurt.  I only hope it was worth it and then I thought about the unloved ones, the sick ones, and hurt ones and the ones on death’s doorstep that we saved and the faces I will never forget.  But after I made my visit to talk to him after the festival last night, and I walked back to the house, I heard his voice...  "Don't do it for me, do it for them." It's only about the dogs, nothing else,  Ken…