My
time to say goodbye came too soon, I came into your world and needed help because I was
broke, some of us are broke outside but some inside too.
Some of us were sick, injured, and young, but some of us were damaged and needed help. We never wanted to leave this earth so
quickly, but it wasn't in the plans. My life
was ending, and my spirit was fading, and I was being called home.
I
knew I would never grow old and do all the things that some dogs do, but I know
you had done everything you could have done.
I knew I would never be healthy, either in body or spirit and may never run in the fields and smell the story of everything life brings, but I
did raise my nose to the wind and saw this beautiful world and the person who
loved me.
When
I was called home, I never forgot the memories we shared as few as they may be
because of my short time, but I know you did everything possible to save me and
many others.
When
you looked at me, I could see the concern in your eyes, and I knew you were
wondering if you could fix me, sometimes you did but some you couldn't, but tried, I know
you don't understand, but I do, dogs know more that you give us credit for. Nothing more clearly defined your purpose,
when you smiled, I knew why you were here.
I
sat by your side, entering into the spirit of the moment, you supported my
life, wherever it went, whatever I felt, whatever I did. I was your witness,
your testament to your love for me and for the ones who are broken, homeless, or sick.
I
remember my heart jumping out of my chest when you came into the shelter. I was
waiting for someone; I just knew it was you when I saw your eyes and then
looked into your soul.
And
I thank you.
I
always knew you were coming. We had no
secrets, and you showed me everything. We trusted each other, even when there
was no hope, you were by my side.
I
smelled and felt all of the worries in your human life, but I am different.
Like other animals, I only want what I need, but you wanted more for me and for
the hundreds of others you helped.
I
am so much different than you, but I am glad I am me, and you are you.
You
must know that there is always a goodbye hovering in the shadows of what you call a rescue dog and some of us don't make it out of the shelter. We are never here for long, or for long
enough. We were never meant to share your life, only a small part until
we find a new home. We come, and we go but you come when needed. We leave when
it is time and hopefully to a new home.
I
hope that you know how sad it would have been had you not helped me, to
give me a chance as you do to others. I
do not mourn or grieve, but I will miss trusting you, we were bound together on our
short walk through life, even as I know that there is a long line of others needing
help and many to take my place.
Thank
you. It was everything to me.
Know this:
I
will always love you
I
will never forget you
I
will wait for you
And
then, seek out the others that so desperately need help, honor me by bringing another
"rescue" into your life, so they can get and receive this gift, but
know when it is your time to cross that Bridge, I and many others will meet you
and you will see the rewards of your work in the eyes that sparkle and the dogs
that line the bridge as we walk together to meet Clancy. Ken
Note... Earlier this week, I evaluated a dog in a shelter that needs some help. The evaluation went very well and Saturday, the dog was transported to Clancy's Dream. We made arrangements to meet the transport at a rest stop on the interstate and pick up the dog. Inside the large van was nearly 40 dogs in separate cages. Our little dog was trembling from head to toe until she saw me and remembered me. I will never forget that sight and her comfort because she knew she was safe. Most of the dogs were very well behaved in the van but scared. I ask the driver about the behavior and how good it was with some of them and they said, "because they trust us."
This has been another sad week because of our loss of Shepp our dog and to Xena, one of our pups that passed and to the dogs, we desperately tried to save and couldn't.
Dedicated to the rescuers who help the dogs that have no-one to trust but them.
Note... Earlier this week, I evaluated a dog in a shelter that needs some help. The evaluation went very well and Saturday, the dog was transported to Clancy's Dream. We made arrangements to meet the transport at a rest stop on the interstate and pick up the dog. Inside the large van was nearly 40 dogs in separate cages. Our little dog was trembling from head to toe until she saw me and remembered me. I will never forget that sight and her comfort because she knew she was safe. Most of the dogs were very well behaved in the van but scared. I ask the driver about the behavior and how good it was with some of them and they said, "because they trust us."
This has been another sad week because of our loss of Shepp our dog and to Xena, one of our pups that passed and to the dogs, we desperately tried to save and couldn't.
Dedicated to the rescuers who help the dogs that have no-one to trust but them.

