Sunday

An Observation...

As I was sitting in the recliner this Friday night, Dutchess has become a regular visitor on my lap and burrows in-between my legs.  Every night is the same, when she walks in the room, she will stand by my chair and patiently look at me and if I don’t respond, she will paw my leg and bark.  All it takes for her to spring up is I have to pat my chest, and in a jiffy, she is laying in-between my legs.  Now while this is very enduring and sweet, a fifty five pound dog can get a little uncomfortable especially when she gets more and more relaxed requiring more room.  By hour two, I have my legs wide enough to set each foot on the floor and she has the whole bottom half of the chair, but at least she is comfortable, not so much for me.  

As I sat and look around the family room, we have sitting and laying places for the dogs.  We have (5) 3 X 4 dog beds, lined with Vellux with cedar chips and plush stuffing inside.  Really?  Not counting the 2 couches and one recliner that they also have.  They sleep better than I do at times and I know they take up more room.  We just purchased a second King Size bed to accommodate us and I swear I have the same room as I had when I slept on a double bed.  I just wonder what has happened.

Usually before we were kid less and dog less, we would pretty much do what we wanted when we wanted.  As we now have gotten into this dog thing, unbeknown to me, my life has changed.  When our human children were born,  We would eat on time for the kids, no afternoon naps, we have to get up early, pack backup items abundantly for a trip, take food and make sure we had our medical records, extra clothing and vaccination records just in case we needed them.  Is it really different with a dog?  We see that they eat on time, we don’t ever take a nap or they will wake you, they will lick your face at 5 am (time to get up), we take extra tennis balls or Frisbees in case they can’t find one, take the Vet records if needed and put everyone in the dirty car.  Wow… it’s like having 10 kids around here, something I never thought of until now.
I think our whole attitude changes.  Before children, our house was spotless, everything was in order, we had money and things were simple but when the kids came along… do I even have to go there, we all know the changes and with dogs it’s the same.  I have noticed that the glass on the back door just doesn’t look the same if it doesn’t have muddy paw prints, there’s a 2 gallon water bucket on the floor and it’s knocked over if someone finds it empty, just to remind us.  A clean bed with a white blanket is filled with dog hair on the second day, the car is dirtier on the inside than on the outside and even the Christmas tree gets turned over, thanks to Dutchess’s rough play.  You just endeavor on, pick up, go without sleep and pack for the dog.
Fix their Boo Boo's
Dutchess likes Wonder Woman Band-Aids
With our children, we would buy the finest clothes, get the coolest stuff, go on “kid” vacations, serve the proper food and our life revolved around them.  With dogs, we will get cool dog booties, beds, blankets, jackets and the best food that money can buy and go on vacation only where your dog is allowed.

Do I see a pattern here?  Many people joke around and say “My dogs are my kids” not really thinking about what they are saying, but when you do think, they are our kids and I wouldn’t have it any other way plus they don’t talk back…Ken
See you next Week or follow us today on Facebook