When
we moved to the country, our kids went their own way, and I kinda missed
Daddy-time. As we acquired dogs and
pups, Daddy-time came back in another form.
As we helped Momma dog whelp the pups, we held each one as life entered
their little lungs and nursed them throughout their young life, me becoming a new Daddy. I
had a common bond with every dog that was ever here as I saw them develop and I held and cuddled
each and every one of them for 8-10 weeks. I can't tell you the countless times
my shoes were untied and the wet faces I got from
the pups. Most nights before I turned in for the night, the last thing
the puppies saw was me leaning into their kennel wishing them a good night and
softly singing to them. The little pups would cock their head from side to side with amazement, and when I finished, all of them would lick my face and nose and then off to sleep, they would go. Something I eminently enjoyed. As I have
said to anyone that would listen, “It might be your dog, but it will always be
my pup” and I feel the same way with the dogs we help through Clancy's Dream.
As
we changed directions at the farm, we saw Daddy-time come back into focus again. With the need to help the unloved and abused and Border
Collies we work with; patience became a necessity and so did Daddy-time. Sometimes it was needed more than others,
but Daddy-time was always there when they needed support. Even with my dogs, when trouble comes up, and
they get spooked and seek protection, Daddy is not far away. Just several days ago, JoJo fancies to play
tough, but she really is a big sissy. She was licking the face of another dog
that came to visit, she got scolded by the unfamiliar dog, and she yelped and
came running to me and hid between my legs.
Daddy was there to protect her as is often the case. Each of my dogs comes up to me several times
of the day just to check if Daddy is still here.
Nighttime is the best when we're watching TV for Daddy-time and they take turns climbing in my lap for that special time. It's so pleasant when the dogs want to be
with me because they are so comfortable with our relationship. Everyone has a routine, and they usually
stick to it. With eight dogs, each has its
own particular time to have their "own" Daddy-time. Everyone has needs, and so do the dogs, they
tell us by their motions, stares, barks, and when they flip your hand when
you're eating or typing. Just try to
watch and look at their work through their eyes and you will know, Daddy/Mommy
time is not only good for your dog but to you too.
There
are reasons that things happen and even with the rescue dogs, they have needs too. It's our job to love, comfort, and
raise them to be responsible and be able to engage in life and to love others. So, when you see your dog staring or laying
in your lap or in Dutchess case, barking at you, they are saying Daddy Daddy
Daddy and they need something. Daddy-time is not far away and they may need some time and
attention... Who would think that 35 years ago, a moment would shape your world in a porch swing on a summer evening? Life is amazing if we would just look and listen to what is trying to tell to us. Ken


