Sunday

Grooming 101

Earlier in the week, I was petting Gabby and felt a clump of hair.  No problemo, I’ll get the brush and get that pesky think out.   I then thought that I would brush a few of them that needed it.  I did brush them several weeks ago, so I'm sure this will be quick.  


I got my tools, and as usual, I sat right in the middle of the driveway.  Before I sat down, I grabbed a floor fan and sat it about 10 feet from me to blow any loose hair into the driveway.  Good plan I thought.

The Fan...
The downside, it was pushing nearly 95 degrees outside, and the humidity was pretty high, but no problem, I’ve got the fan, and I am in the shade.  As I sat down and called one of the dogs, they must have thought it was “loving on Daddy time,” and I was inundated with furry critters all around me.  I put one between my legs and started brushing and getting mats out.  Hum… this mat is a little worse than I thought this might take a few minutes.  "Who is in front of the fan?"


As I worked on their coat, I seemed to be getting a little warm.  I looked around and right in front of the fan was two dogs cooling themselves.  “Dutchess  Meggy move, it’s getting hot,” I said.  Slowly but begrudgingly, they moved, and it was much better.  The fur was flying because I had a dethatching rake and it was getting the undercoat, and the fan was blowing it around.  "Please move."


“JoJo, it’s not your time, and besides, you need minimal brushing, but your nails need some work.”  She was happy and moved on and found something else to do.  The more I did, the hotter I got, and now I was sweating.  “Dutchess, move your butt, it’s hot, Gabby you too!”  Did they talk about this and are they are getting back at me I thought, surely not.  "Please get out from the front of the fan."

This really is JoJo wanting to be brushed...
Everybody was a little frisky and they thought I was sitting in the driveway for their entertainment.  JoJo found a toy somewhere, and that became the center of attention.  The only problem was in my area which was still the center of attention.  When she brought the toy, everything changed.  Now it’s play time they all assumed.

Keeps bring this toy...
JoJo was relentless with the toy.  Just last week, she learned to jump off the dock getting the ball and now she thinks it's better than dinnertime.  The all watched and were ready for someone to tose the toy, but we were busy.  She would lay it down, and the other would try to get it.  Needless, it was a distraction for the dog in my lap.
After what seemed like days in the hot weather trying to keep the dog from hogging the fan, I was done with two dogs, with 6 more to go.  "Please get out from in front of the fan."

Nail time...
Things I learned,

Dogs know what a fan is, trust me.
Put all the toys up.
Don’t brush a dog in hot weather.
Fur sticks to wet clothes and wet faces.
Hire a professional.

I've seen this a lot, but this is two of my dogs... 6 to go.
All in all, it wasn’t too bad, they loved the fan, attention, and toy all together was a little too much for grooming, they made a game of it.  Me on the other hand, it was hot, sticky with fur on my clothes and face which always tickled and couldn’t get off.  I took a shower, cooled off and then it was off to play, should of just jumpted in the water...  Ken