With the warn humid weather upon us, we all need to take caution. Back in 2011, we found how something that I never thought would happen can be so serious. Several days ago, it was hot and steamy with a high humidity in the air. Doc found his solace by finding a cool spot right in found the running fan.
![]() |
| Doc was really Hot... |
weakness
loss of balance
excessive panting
roaring breathing sounds
gums that turn bright red, then purple or blue
excessive salivation
gums that turn bright red, then purple or blue
excessive salivation
disorientation
a decrease in mental awareness
collapse and deatha decrease in mental awareness
Take the dog’s temperature. One of the best ways to assess whether the dog’s internal temperature is elevated is to take his temperature rectally. A dog’s temperature is normally between 99.5 and 102.5 degrees Fahrenheit. A dog is overheated if his temperature is 103 degrees Fahrenheit or higher. A temperature of 109 °F (42.8 °C) is usually fatal. I've asked several people if they would take the temperature of their dog and they were so squeamish, but this could save their life. Get a thermometer and keep it apart of you human one and use it if in doubt.
I knew immediate attention was required, I just didn't know where she was on the list above list. She had all the symptoms but the last one and that one didn't seem too far off. I carried her into the house and laid her down and placed her on the floor and put a fan on her. She would attempt to move but couldn't. I got down on the floor with her and stroked her face, just to comfort her and to keep her still. It seemed that she could not get "cool" fast enough.
I knew that you didn't want to cool her any faster by using cold water, as it can actually be counterproductive. Cooling too quickly and especially allowing her body temperature to become too low can cause other life-threatening medical conditions, so I just had to wait it out, which we did together. Little by little she started to get better and would respond to me. She got up and tried to get in her favorite chair and couldn't. I lifted her up, and there we stayed for the rest of the day, me holding her paw and rubbing her head. She seemed better now and seems to be getting back to normal. If this does occur, and it can so quickly, seek professional help if you are unsure of what you are doing. We were lucky. Molly usually doesn't play as hard as the others, I'm just glad we caught it in time.....and she had the gumption to get in the water even if it was uncomfortable and I'm sure this saved her life.
Make sure you have access to water and shade if you play outside, don't play too long, shorter sessions. Sometimes they will tell you that they are hot and tired, stop, listen and watch. They know better than we do at times.
I knew that you didn't want to cool her any faster by using cold water, as it can actually be counterproductive. Cooling too quickly and especially allowing her body temperature to become too low can cause other life-threatening medical conditions, so I just had to wait it out, which we did together. Little by little she started to get better and would respond to me. She got up and tried to get in her favorite chair and couldn't. I lifted her up, and there we stayed for the rest of the day, me holding her paw and rubbing her head. She seemed better now and seems to be getting back to normal. If this does occur, and it can so quickly, seek professional help if you are unsure of what you are doing. We were lucky. Molly usually doesn't play as hard as the others, I'm just glad we caught it in time.....and she had the gumption to get in the water even if it was uncomfortable and I'm sure this saved her life.
| Nellie Getting wet after a day or work |
| Nellie drying off...
Have a safe summer and stay cool. Ken
Visit us... at Facebook
|

