I
have always been an early riser in the mornings. I once had a job that started at 5 AM and now
I guess I have just gotten into the habit of getting up early. Just yesterday, I was up at 4:30 AM and even
the dogs wouldn’t get up. One of my
favorite parts of the day with the dogs is the mornings as the sun rises and we are walking through the woods.
We have many trails at the farm and the dogs will
take me out and walk a couple of miles.
They love it because they can run, explore, chase each other and always relieve
themselves. It takes the edge off
quickly and everyone then settles into their daily routine, what a great start to the day!
We
have had breathtaking sunrises this fall and when it comes through the trees
and climbs the hills, it is almost spiritual. The first of this week was especially
nice. The weather was just right and the
light coming through the trees was awe-inspiring.
At one point we stopped and I
stood still and watched and waited. Streaks of light was lowly coming through the trees and the dogs were exploring the day, following each other to each new
discovery with a sense of vigor. Not a sound was made except the wind and the wind chimes that we were close to and I thought, “It IS spiritual.”
In
the early 70’s (my wild years with long hair) there was a song called Morning
Has Broken. It was a cute little song
and Cat Stevens had a pleasant voice and I liked the tune. I never really thought about the words until
I Googled it this week and I was surprised. Morning has broken is the best known work of
Eleanor Farjeon, children’s author and poet.
Eleanor was born in London on February 13, 1881.
In
“Morning has broken” Cat Stevens sang about creation in the way it should be
heard. Who cares if the world was made in seven days or fourteen billion years? We live
in a kaleidoscope of wonder and never see it but walk past it every day.
Eden need not be a place in time and space. Eden can be a level
of awareness available in the most ordinary moments. Heaven need not be a land
outside of time, it can be a quality deep within every moment and it was that day. The hymn
reminds me that wonders lies everywhere hidden, like a treasure discoverable to
anyone who can muster childlike reverence for the ordinary and the dogs make this happen by seeing the good in life and making the most unusual object the center of their world.
Follow the dogs on Facebook
Follow Clancy's Dream
