With
the first of December coming this week, Christmas has arrived a little early
this season at the farm. Usually this early everyone just thinks about what they are going to get for a loved one but I have receive a taste
of a few of my “gifts” and I will tell you… much thought has gone into
selecting them. Like everyone, there is
a lot of planning that goes into picking a gift, not just any gift but one that
has much meaning and something that is dear to the heart of the giver and this
week, I was “gifted” to say the least.
For
starters, I have been given a very early gift for spring which was hard to prepare
and took a lot of time. A few of the
dogs have esthetically cultivated the yard, and nearly everything around the
farm. They seem to have worked
tirelessly and without any complaints and I’m sure they highly enjoyed it
because it shows.
We have holes, grottos and thrown dirt everywhere. When they
ran up to me to show me, they were so excited and proud of their
accomplishments that they jumped on me also giving me another coveted gift of
dirty clothes. But wait, it doesn’t
stop there. Before I could get them all scrubbed
off, they ran to the house door and in Dutchess’s eagerness to share, she
opened the sliding door by pawing at it, and gave another gift to the
top of the bed, their paw prints, until we changed the bed which was very soon.. They were so happy and proud and the
excitement in their eyes was wonderful…
Even though the cultivating gift was early it was much appreciated by
them, I had a little different thought on this… and so did Elaine and because
it rained the night before making it even more wonderful.
The
second gift was a stick, many sticks. It
was long and natural, something they labored over just to pick the right ones. Target and Heidi, knowing they won’t be here
for Christmas, decided to give me there sticks this week too. I will tell you, the sticks are pretty and when we
took walks, they would go out into the woods and get the longest one and drag
it to me with tails wagging and hearts beating.
Unknown to them, this is now part of the kindling for the house fireplaces. Thank you girls.
| Heidi, Target, and Abbie |
| Target and Abbie |
It
seems like every dog has had a pre-gift gift to give this week, maybe they have the “30”
days of Christmas spirit on their calendar and this is just the beginning. But whatever it is, I do like it, some gifts
more than others, but it’s what is in heart that counts…
Just
like Frank Costanza on Seinfeld who created Festivus which is "A Festivus
for the rest of us!" it appears the dogs created a “Festivus” just for us at the farm. I can’t wait to see what’s next, it may be a long December… Ken
See you next week or follow us today on Facebook
