There
is always a project going on here at the farm.
The bad thing, everything else suffers because my mind compels me to finish
it, leaving other things undone and this Saturday I finished it...
Doc
has been on Holiday for a few months and he is scheduled to arrive back home soon.
| Doc Holliday |
For
the last few winter seasons, we had an Igloo house for him to sleep in and I even installed
a dog door into the garage where he could get into a heated room but he still
preferred the back porch. In
preparation for his arrival, the dogs and I have decided to build him a NEW dog
house that will sit on the covered back porch near the back door. Much thought has gone into this new project and at one
time I thought about purchasing one but I thought "we" could do a better job, with Dutchess's help.
Plans
were prepared, shopping trips were made and we were off to construct a “better
dog house” As you can see, the whole garage was used for
this venture. Working part-time for
Sears in the past has some advantages and I have nearly every tool that they
made but my worst attribute is that when I get a tool out to use, it stays out until
the project is over, making a messy workplace.
Even our Jeep had to weather the rain, something “Nellie Belle” is
not accustom to.
Much thought went into this project because I want him to stay warm, comfortable
and happy. It needed to be insulated,
weatherproof and easily accessible but near the back door. Its three foot by four foot and a large dog
bed where two dogs will fit nicely inside if he wanted company.
| Meggie and Dutchess trying it out... |
It had one
and one half inches of foam insulation inside every wall including the top and
bottom along with a magnetic dog door which he is used to. On top of the walls and ceiling it is
covered with laminate flooring and trimmed out with trim that I made from wood here at the farm. I painted and caulked the inside to insure
that the wood was sealed and would stop any cold breeze. Because of its size and knowing I can’t get
inside, the roof is easily removable if I needed to change the bedding or clean
it out. It was a huge project and I am
thankful it’s over.
Of
course I had lots of help along the way…
| Dutchess helping me with the two wheeler to move it... |
It was a big heavy job for a dog house, I'm sure Doc will love it but I know the others do...
It has plenty of room inside and plans for a heater if needed. I even put an area on top for a second dog bed for those lazy "dog" days when you just wanted to take a cat nap without going inside. I'm sure Doc will be happy to return and to find a new "home" just for him. He is such a sweetheart and lover-boy... see you soon, welcome home Mr. Holliday... Dad...