Sunday

It's Not My Dog, It's My Wife's...

Over my life, I have had several breeds of dogs, some good, some bad. We had a husky, cocker spaniel, border collies and the “yorkie”. Other than the border collies, I have not had any other dog that has made an impression on me other than the “yorkie”… Before all the men up rise, it wasn’t my dog, it was my wife’s dog.   I remember the day the “yorkie” came home.  My wife made a decision that she wanted one, so she shopped around and as usual, before, we could really talk about it, she brought it home.  For what the little pup cost, I could have purchases a good used car, in fact the dog cost more than a car one of the kid’s purchased a year later, and it was a great car.
In through the door my wife came in with little “Maggie” or “Maggot” as she would forever be known by me. Please,  don’t think I am not a “Yorkie” fan, and just so you understand, I’m not, but I’m sure they are sweet dogs and have a place in the world, just not mine. They are great and devoted little dogs for the right person and I am not that person...

Maggie was the light of my wife’s eye. She would carry her around all the time and I would ask, ”legs not working today?” and as you know, I got the “look”. You see I’m a manly man and dogs should walk and fend for them self and dig holes, catch Frisbees and do dog stuff, “yorkie’s” don’t. When I was a kid, I had a neighbor woman who lived next store that had one and when the dog would do its business outside, she would stay with it (God forbid it would walk over 5 feet) and wipe its butt. Well the neighborhood kids would have a field day with this and we always referred to “Peppy’s butt when we wanted a good chuckle.

When Maggie came home, she was still young which meant she would need shots and of course, it was me who had to take her to the vet because my wife had to work even though I was working too.  I remember the day so well.  I took Maggie in hand, and off we went to her first Vet visit.  She peeded on the front seat of my car and may have thrown up, but that’s blocked out from therapy.  When I got to the Vet,  there was no one in the parking lot, whew.   I was saved but as I was sitting and waiting on the Vet,  a biker type dude with a Rottweiler came in the door.  After checking in, he sat across from me with “Spike” right next to him.  He kept looking at me then Maggie and finally said “cute dog” and rolled his eyes, he also said “what do you do with it, use it for a dust mop”. I said “it’s not my dog” “Sure” he replied.  His dog “spike” kept looking at Maggie as if he wanted a snack and after what seemed like a year, I was called back.  “Cute dog” the Vet said, “It’s not mine” I replied, “sure” he said.  After getting all the shots and paperwork, home we went with dog in hand only to pee in the car again….My wife called and wanted to know how the Vet visit went, I just said wonderful, everyone loved our little Maggie….rolling me eyes the whole time.

This is something I have only told a very few people, consider yourself lucky.  We were going on vacation in Florida.  We did have a pool in our backyard with a privacy fence and not wanting to get burned by the sun in Florida, I decided to lay out by the pool and get a good tan.  Wanting to get the maximum exposure to all of my body, I had an old pair of “Speedo” trunks from when I was on a swimming team.  It was something in my drawer that just never got thrown out, but should have because it was about 10 sizes too small but was perfect for the back yard behind the privacy fence.  As I was laying out, as real men would do, I had a few cold beers.  What a perfect day, pool, sun and cold beer.  Only once did Maggot act up when she knocked over a beer but after a swat, it didn’t happen again.
Time to clean up, gathering the few bottles, I went to the garage door and as the automatic door was going up, Maggot ran under the door into the alley and turned toward a busy street.  My first thought…My wife will kill me and I will be in so much trouble…oh Kurd what will I do.  She knows I hate the dog.  The garage door seemed to take forever to open and by the time I got in the alley, Maggot had turned onto another street heading toward a four lane road.  I am going to die tonight, I just know it.  After much running I caught her before she ran into the busy road.  I “gently” grabbed her by the scruff, but out of breath, I had to rest for just a second.  It was like a vision had come to me, but in a bad way.  Here I was standing with a “Yorkie” in my hand next to a four lane busy road in a pair of Speedo's that are way too small with white sunscreen on my nose.  There were six or seven workmen working on a project within 10 feet of me with their mouth’s wide open.  One said “cute dog…” Standing there in my under sized Speedo’s and with every manly tone I could muster, I said “As God is my witness….this is not my dog” “Sure” was the reply….I'm just glad a news crew was not in the area.  "Nearly naked man runs through neighborhood stopping traffic during rush hour holding a small dog, alcohol may have been involved.  Film at 11".

Maggie left us one day soon after, she dug under the privacy fence and was never seen again, I hate that…Life was not the same after she left.  Ken


Note: This really is a true story.