Sunday

A POEM TO MY FOSTER DOG...

This has been a very stressful two weeks, lots going on at home with my dogs and the storms and the rescue world is busy.  Abbie is finally out of her cone, and she is happy and has been in the lake every day.  Elaine has been with her Father for two weeks, she is his only living child, and when her Mother passed away, she is his intercessor to the world and helped him through his recent operation.  I need her to come back because there is no toilet paper on the roll.  A friend posted this several nights ago on Clancy’s Dream Facebook page, and it really hit me and here is why…


A POEM TO MY FOSTER DOG, by Diane Morgan

I am the bridge
between what was and what can be.
I am the pathway to a new life.

Many times I have seen the what was and what can be in the life of a dog.  I never thought about how I see both sides in their life when most do not.  I have picked up dogs that were covered in urine and feces and had never been out of their cage.  I have been greeted with guns on several occasions and seen dogs that had no will to live because their human companion did not.  The dog was the last thing that ever got attention, food or water and at times some of them had never been on real grass.  Clancy’s Dream is the pathway to their new life.

I am made of mush,
because my heart melted when I saw you,
matted and sore, limping, depressed,
lonely, unwanted, afraid to love.

The day when Guinness came to Clancy's Dream, he would not take a treat,

The day he left his foster's Home
 My heart melted many times, no, all the time.  I saw them when they knew nothing about life, love or where their next meal would come from.  One dog, our last little rescues was so lost that he would bury his head under his paws just to escape the world of humans and how bad they are.  I got inside the kennel with him and put my hands over my face and cried and he then allowed me to touch him.  Little did he know he was to be euthanized but he came into our arms, only by luck… Guinness is only one of several we saved that was doomed.

For one little time you are mine.
I will feed you with my own hand
I will love you with my whole heart
I will make you whole.

In my heart, they are mine even if it’s for a little while.  I care about you, worry about you and fret about if you will like your new home.  In my mind, no one can ever love you like I do but I know that’s not true…  Many times I will wrap my arms around you and just hold you, hoping you’ll understand what love is.  How can I not get attached to you when I see you transform into a dog that lays in my lad, licks my face and follow me around because you want me.

I am made of steel,
because when the time comes,
when you are well and sleek,
when your eyes shine, and your tail wags with joy
then comes the hard part.

No one will ever understand the pain that we go through when we give you up and when that time comes, you are healthy, well loved and happy.  You are a long way from that fearful dog that would bark and run away, and your fur that was, yellow from urine and matted is now shiny and new.  You are now a beautiful dog, both inside and out and you became part of our pack and my heart.

I will let you go not without a tear,
but without a regret.
For you are safe forever
A new dog needs me now.

Yes, I will let you go but never without a tear that most will never see.  As I walk away, something is always in my eye and throat because I can’t seem to see or speak, but my heart is bursting with joy.  You are now forever safe from the chain, cage, and hell that you lived in and your dream of a new life is just ahead if only you knew, but soon will.  I think about you often.  You will always be part of us, and I see you in my thoughts and dreams.

Lilly is a full blooded BC.  She was locked up in her cage, never getting out to go to the bathroom.  I was under the watchful eye of an armed man watching my every move I make when I picked her up.  She was so bad, we went straight to the vet.  She came out of her bonds and recovered, I miss and love her so...

Sadly a dog is in trouble, but hopefully, the owners have the sense to contact a rescue rather than dumping their dog at the dog pound where you may be killed before they even walk out the front door.  Yes, a new dog needs “us” now.  And Clancy’s Dream and its members are ready to help.   Ken


About 2.4 million healthy, adoptable cats and dogs—about one every 13 seconds—are put down in U.S. shelters each year. Often these animals are the offspring of cherished family pets. Spay/neuter is a proven way to reduce pet overpopulation, ensuring that every pet has a family to love them.  The Humane Society of the United States.   Border Collies are on the top ten list of all dogs given up to shelters.  Yes a new dog needs us now!    Ken and the crew of Clancy's Dream...

Clancy's Dream website

Clancy's Dream Facebook page