Sunday

A Purpose...


As promised, I said I would follow up my Blog from several weeks ago after watching the movie “A Dog’s Purpose.” Giving my point of view, it is a very heartfelt movie about the life of a dog that comes back in several versions of other dogs when he passed away.   If you see it, don’t be late because the first 60 seconds sets the stage for the whole crux of the movie and you could easily miss it.  I ask, what is their purpose?


“Humans were capable of so many amazing things, but too often they just sat making words, not doing anything.”
 W. Bruce Cameron, A Dog's Purpose


I loved the movie and saw things from a dog's point of view, some things I never thought of before but are probably right.   I ask my Facebook followers what were some of the purposes to them were regarding eating, sleeping, and things you do with them and was amazed by some of the answers and how much they did and tolerated their dogs in some of the behavior.  In truth, most of us do the same things with our dogs.  I don’t know why but we usually treat them like family, and they get away with most things we wouldn’t let our kids do.

The movie will have you laughing, crying and just feeling good but it all comes together at the end. Buddy is the dog in the film and Ethan is his owner. The last thing Bailey experiences before he dies is the love of his boy. It's a big deal for him because he has never felt this sort of unique love.  With Ethan, Bailey is special.

Buddy and Ethan
Buddy- “I was a good dog. I had fulfilled my purpose…I understood it now, why I had lived so many times. I had to learn a lot of important skills and lessons, so when the time came, I could rescue Ethan, not from the pond but from the sinking despair of his own life.”  W. Bruce Cameron, A Dog's Purpose

As Elaine and I left the movie, I try to look at the ceiling and floor but not at any other faces; I tried to put on a brave face, It was happy and sad in a good way.  Elaine was "How Long Can You Possibly Cry?" crying while we walked to the car and I just couldn’t understand what was so wrong.  Through chopped words, she said to me after composing herself and said.  “I’m too old to see Clancy again, and he won’t come back to me, but to somebody else.”  I now know why she was so upset, as Buddy moved through his lives, he helped many people, always to the end of his life.  Clancy came into our life after our “Morgan” was killed very unexpectedly and tragically.  We went looking for a new dog and went to a breeder and picked one out but he was taken.  We only picked Clancy because all the others were taken, little did I know.  

Fate… maybe, but some pretty strong forces were directly pushing Clancy into our life and the lives of many dogs that needed help, we just didn’t know but was shown the way.

In the movie, Buddy was a dog that traveled through people's lives to give them "everything" he had, including his life.  He did not see it as a sacrifice but a duty and honor.  He understood more things than we usually will see or know.  He experienced life in a beautiful way, helping where he could.

Quote from Buddy- “I was a good dog. I had fulfilled my purpose…I understood it now, why I had lived so many times. I had to learn a lot of important skills and lessons, so when the time came, I could rescue Ethan, not from the pond but from the sinking despair of his own life.”  W. Bruce Cameron, A Dog's Purpose

Kenny- “Clancy was a good dog.  He had fulfilled his purpose…I understood it now, why he had lived so many times.  He learned so many important skills and lessons, so when the time came, he could rescue other dogs from the sinking despair of the life they once lived.

“Humans were capable of so many amazing things, but too often they just sat making words, not doing anything.”  W. Bruce Cameron,  A Dog's Purpose.  As Clancy taught us, let's not make words, let's make a difference.

Somewhere, someone will receive a nudge or a lick and not understand why.  It may be something they may not be able to comprehend or understand, at that particular moment.   Be patient with your new dog and take the love and kindness that comes your way and look into their eyes and see their soul, especially through "those" eyes, that will pierce your heart.   

Clancy
Delight in the love and licks on your leg and know you will learn to love this, as I did.  You can’t envision the ride you will have if you choose.  Life is a dream if that’s only what you what, a reality, if you listen and act, it's up to you.  We now share a common love, and please give our Clancy a hug.  He now has another purpose with you, and someday, you will understand…but it may be hard.  

I now know “A Dog’s Purpose.”   Ken…