Sunday

A Dog Purpose, really?

A Dog’s Purpose.
Why in the world would there be dogs in the world?  Where did they come from?  If we did evolve, why don’t we look like dogs?  I ask this question last week on my Facebook page and received many answers.  “For some people, their dog is to assist them in a job (herding, protecting or helping those who are medically unable).  Mine help me stay in shape because they require walking, etc.”  one reader said, “I need somebody to wake me up and give licks, pee on a tree, sleep all day, wake up again, give more licks, and then stay up till midnight barking at the TV.”


It seems like dogs have many purposes in our world, but to some readers have very unique reasons, “I need somebody who can break wind without a first thought or second thought.” I know people like this...  “I believe a dog's true purpose is to teach us humans a thing or two about love, respect, and loyalty.”  “They are never willing to sit, stay, or roll over when you want them to but who can chase balls, sniff crotches, fetch sticks and lift spirits with a lick.”  In my sadist times, just a lick, look or some lap time makes my day and then I realize, things will get better and they always do.


“Having a dog means never having to bend over and pick up food that was dropped on the floor. It means never being cold at night because someone always wants to lay near/on you. It means never setting an alarm clock because it cannot provide face licking and body slamming that two hungry dogs can achieve at 5:30 am.”  While this may seem unusual to a non-dog owner, I can attest, this is the truth.  On a few instances, I have even let Dutchess in the house to get something I spilled on the floor, and she did a pretty good job.


One writer said, “they are strong enough to pull sleds and find bombs, yet gentle enough to love babies and lead the blind.”  “Our dogs each seem to have a different purpose, though ultimately their total devotion is both of their goals…. she's determined to get us off our butts. She loves to please us by completing successful agility jumps. She jumps on the back of our couch as we walk by, so she can be at our level for a hug. She always wants to sit on our laps and be with us, for companionship.



What does it mean to us as humans to have a dog and why?  “It means spending ridiculous amounts of money on vet bills and not batting an eye while I refuse to pay $0.03 more for gas at the gas station close to my house. It means not needing a doorbell because you will always be alerted when someone is at the door. It means buying a SUV because you're brood is now too big for your two door car.”  I gently reminded my son some months ago when he was looking for a house, “remember you have a dog, it needs to be dog-friendly with a fence”  and I was pleased when he mentioned the first thing to do before they move in was  “we need to build a fence,”  and he did.
“It doesn't matter what you didn’t do, or couldn’t take, or didn’t win, or couldn’t make they will love you without judgment.”  Another reader “It means buying a house that may not have everything you want, but as long as the yard is appropriate for the dogs, you will learn to tolerate those things inside the house that irritate you. It means planning vacations around them or canceling them at the last minute when they are sick.” 


As people who want acceptance and try to prove to the world that we are successful, we don’t need to do that with our dog because they don't care and we really shouldn't. “Dogs are companionship in the purest form. A dog doesn't just see you as an equal, they see you as a person who has chosen to give them a home and good life, and they're genuinely grateful.”  “Somebody to lie next to you during the long nights of pain and sorrow when it hurts to move”  “Somebody to stand guard, play ball, snore for hours and repeat again and again.  Somebody to give you strength when you have none of your own.”
 I remember several times when I would walk with one of my dogs and my world was collapsing.  Although they knew something, they were smart enough to make me fill better.  From a blog I wrote in November 2015 “Just Yesterday morning, I couldn’t sleep and get out of bed.  I called Abbie, and off we went walking through the woods at 4 am.  There was little or no moon, but the wind was slightly blowing through the trees, and it was dreamlike.  She led the way to her favorite spot at our 2nd lake, mostly because it’s one of her play areas.  This time, she walked onto the dock and waited for me.  I sat down on a step, Abbie curled up into my lap and licked my face.  We sat there and listened to the wind as we sat holding each other, I dreamed of younger times and of uncomplicated days, not tiring or growing weary.   I raced through a lifetime of wonderful memories, but tonight my thoughts were of Abbie.  To her, we may have been dreaming for a short time, but to me, it was a lifetime… and I assure you, I will never forget that moment.  As a dog parent, we look to fill their needs, but this time Abbie sensed what I needed, and filled my needs… more than she’ll ever know”  This was the day I found out Abbie had Cancer.



So what is a dog’s purpose?  If you had never seen or met a dog, you would never have one from reading this...  As I’ve said many times before “I didn’t want a dog.” but I never had one before and didn't know the love they could give.  To them, their purpose is to aggravate me, jump on me, jump in the Hot-Tub with me, steal my food and sleep in my spot in the bed.  But when I look into those eyes and see their soul, my soul and see their love and devotion, my soul seeks to be like them because they really are better than us at times. “Somebody to be your buddy and guide us in this world and the next. Somebody to wait for you on the other side or stand guard in your absence until they can join you for eternity.”

Do they have a purpose? You bet they do…   Part two will be when I see the movie... but I kinda know what it might be about.   Ken