Sunday

Happy Memorial Day...

As I have said before, if you ever love an animal, there are three days in your life you will always remember...

The first day is blessed with happiness, when you bring your new puppy home.


The second day will occur eight to ten years later and be a day like no other.  Routine and undistinguished, but for a surprising instant, you will look at your long-time buddy and see age where you once saw youth.

The third important day is the one we all dread, when that time comes. Your day is filled with grief that is hard to explain.  And many times, you will find that not many in your circle of family or friends will be able to understand.

Friday I got a call from the owner of a dog we know well.  I thought it was strange in the beginning but in an instance, I knew something was wrong, so very wrong.  “Jackson passed away today” he said.
Jackson was such a beautiful and loving dog and it literally broke my heart to think I would never see him again.  I also took a walk down our driveway where at the end, is our “family” graveyard where we have buried every pet and dog that has passed since we left Kentucky years ago.  With Memorial Day upon us, I want us to think of our past pets we have lost. I have spoken to literally hundreds of people who have lost their beloved pet and have even cried with them when they told me their story.  Some people I never met, but they just needed to talk.  We are who we are, because of our past, and our pets have shaped us more than we choose to believe or may know.  I know the day will come when “that time” will come again and it breaks my heart to even think of it as we all do.

Because of our dog circles and rescues, we get to know many people and parents of our pups and dogs we have helped.  Something some may not realize is that “we” truly get attached to your dogs that we rescue, work with or help in several ways.  It’s big enough to worry about the health and injuries with “our” own dogs but because of our relationship with others, we do fall in love and worry about your dog too, even if it’s not one of our pups as in the case with Jackson.     
"Jackson"
"Roxie"
Jackson was a remarkable dog and reminded me so much of another dog that we fell in love with, Roxie.  They both were Doberman Pinschers and although, Jackson was a boy and Roxie was a girl, they were very much alike and very loving and we loved them so.  They died two years apart nearly to the day and I remember the last time I saw them and will keep Jackson’s photos on the computer just like I still have Roxie’s. 


We have crossed this bridge before and yes, this is the sad part but I truly loved and remember the all of the dogs that we knew that have passed.  As we celebrate Memorial Day, remember “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” — Joseph Campbell. 


Remember to honor the men and women of our armed services who gave everything for us but remember our past pets too and the funny, cute and loving way they loved us and know they always remembered us…  Take a munute to look into their eyes, stroke their fur and assure them that they are everything to us because someday before we know it, it may be too late.   Ken


“Hey who are you, you seem familiar?”  “I’ve never seen you but I know you too!”  “My name is Jackson and I just got here”  “My name is Roxie and I’ve been here for a blink of an eye”  “I know we have never met but I seem to know you, let's play..."  and as they scamper off to play into the tall green grass, they both carry a small part of a heart that’s on the other side of the bridge, until me meet again… 

Follow us on Facebook