Sunday

A Christmas Story?

As we continue our Christmas theme, I have had another gift from the 10 Magi’s and would you believe, they are Border Collies and live right here at the farm.  While this is not a Christmas story of sorts, I did get a very special gift and a few similar occurrences of the real thing, sorta.



As I have mentioned on the blog, I am in the process of clearing some additional trails through the woods for hiking.  I like to take walks with the dogs and while I take the paths, the dogs will gallop through the woods checking out everything that smells and moves.  If you are a dog owner, you can relate to this but just imagine ten dogs doing this and the things they get into.

Because of the mild weather, it has been great to get outside this December and do some fun yard work along with making plans and getting some equipment out when it’s usually too cold to do anything.   It also gets me off of the couch and makes me productive and even better for my mood.


While I was running the chipper this week, I noticed the dogs running and playing and stopping at one particular place and sniffing.  At one time I saw Annie roll on her back, and I would only assume she was scratching a flea because of the mild weather.  You can’t be too careful you know! 

Once back at the house, the truth was revealed, I noticed one of our old favorite treats, they have found a pile of Poo…  The first word I said to Annie, “NO, you’re not coming in.” and I closed the sliding door while she just sat and stared at us, not understanding at all but I did.  It was late in the evening and most of the dogs got to come in but Annie needed to stay outside which also resulted in a night in the Kennel for her.  As I settled down for the evening, I also found that some of the other dogs had made a visit to the honey pot and also carried the “gift” which also resulted in a trip to the Kennel.  After all the hubbub with the dogs, bath time and bedtime soon followed.


Getting ready to crawl into bed, I went to Dahlia for her good night hug and in my surprise, she too had brought me a gift along with most of all the dogs.  “Well enough” I said, after a brushing, I still hugged them and off to bed we all went.  Clancy, Abbie and Meg stayed with me and as I pulled the covers up, Clancy, as usual jumped on the bed and put his nose on the pillow.  



As I put my hand on his head to rub him, I got another surprise.  He too had made a “visit” and brought me a “gift”.   Et tu, Clancy?  Never have I known him to do this, it must be something in the season…  Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh were given as a gift on that Christmas night and they were rare, precious and expensive but not typical gifts for a baby.  Just a few days before our Christmas night, Ten Border Collies Magi’s brought me “their” special gifts and while it’s not that important to me, it’s everything to them.

Merry Christmas and remember that our dogs will give us everything and anything, if only we could be like them, we all would be happier... give your dog a hug, they will give you their life...  


“A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine. A dog judges others not by their color or creed or class but by who they are inside. A dog doesn't care if you are rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his. It was really quite simple, and yet we humans, so much wiser and more sophisticated, have always had trouble figuring out what really counts and what does not. As I wrote that farewell column to Marley, I realized it was all right there in front of us, if only we opened our eyes. Sometimes it took a dog with bad breath, worse manners, and pure intentions to help us see.”
― John Grogan

Merry Christmas,  Ken and the Gang...

See you next week or follow us today on Facebook