Sunday

A New House...

There is always a project going on here at the farm.  The bad thing, everything else suffers because my mind compels me to finish it, leaving other things undone and this Saturday I finished it...

Doc has been on Holiday for a few months and he is scheduled to arrive back home soon.  e loves the outdoors He logesHe loves the outdoors  mkkkk,lllxs

Doc Holliday
He loves the outdoors and will stay outside, even at night.  Since we have had him he never liked to be pinned up without his freedom.  This has been a problem at times because when he needed to be kenneled, he would bark excessively the entire time and that was a long night for both of us.  

For the last few winter seasons, we had an Igloo house for him to sleep in and I even installed a dog door into the garage where he could get into a heated room but he still preferred the back porch.  In preparation for his arrival, the dogs and I have decided to build him a NEW dog house that will sit on the covered back porch near the back door.  Much thought has gone into this new project and at one time I thought about purchasing one but I thought "we" could do a better job, with Dutchess's help.
 
Dutchess has been using the plainer...
Plans were prepared, shopping trips were made and we were off to construct a “better dog house”   As you can see, the whole garage was used for this venture.  Working part-time for Sears in the past has some advantages and I have nearly every tool that they made but my worst attribute is that when I get a tool out to use, it stays out until the project is over, making a messy workplace.  Even our Jeep had to weather the rain, something “Nellie Belle” is not accustom to.
 
What a mess...
Much thought went into this project because I want him to stay warm, comfortable and happy.  It needed to be insulated, weatherproof and easily accessible but near the back door.  Its three foot by four foot and a large dog bed where two dogs will fit nicely inside if he wanted company.

Meggie and Dutchess trying it out...
It had one and one half inches of foam insulation inside every wall including the top and bottom along with a magnetic dog door which he is used to.   On top of the walls and ceiling it is covered with laminate flooring and trimmed out with trim that I made from wood here at the farm.  I painted and caulked the inside to insure that the wood was sealed and would stop any cold breeze.  Because of its size and knowing I can’t get inside, the roof is easily removable if I needed to change the bedding or clean it out.  It was a huge project and I am thankful it’s over.

Of course I had lots of help along the way…

Dutchess helping me with the two wheeler to move it...
It was a big heavy job for a dog house, I'm sure Doc will love it but I know the others do...



It has plenty of room inside and plans for a heater if needed.  I even put an area on top for a second dog bed for those lazy "dog" days when you just wanted to take a cat nap without going inside.  I'm sure Doc will be happy to return and to find a new "home" just for him.  He is such a sweetheart and lover-boy... see you soon, welcome home Mr. Holliday...   Dad...


 See you next week or follow us today on  Facebook