Sunday

A Letter...


People send and tag me in many articles on social medias that deal with dogs and dog issues.  I do enjoy reading them and at times they tug at my heart, as this one particular letter did from Rainbow Bridge… It came via the United States Priority Services to a rescue worker who had stayed with the dog until the end…


A letter from Sampson in part...
Dear Mom:

I arrived safe and sound. I am sorry it has taken me so long to let you know. Things are so much different here and time passes quickly.

I wanted to let you know how wonderful things are. You should see me! I am healthy and strong and guess what Mom... I can SEE. Butterflies, flowers and trees. I run now and play a lot with the other dogs and sometimes I just sit and look up at the stars

I want to say thank you Mom. It is because of you I felt love for the first time ever in my life. You took me in and gave me the best medical care but even more than that, you showed me what compassion was and patience.

I miss you Mom. I remember all those long nights you stayed up with me because I didn't feel so well. I remember how you poured your strength into me. I remember how you gave all of your heart to me and if love could have healed my broken body, I surely would have been the most healthy dog on the planet. I remember your tears Mom, how much each one that fell cost you. I'm sorry for those.


I am not sending you this to make you cry Mom. I just wanted you to know how much it meant to me to be part of your family. I must confess that I never understood why everyone said SampsonStrong! We both know that all my strength came from you. Your love gave the will and strength to fight. Thank you for that. Together we raised so much awareness. I know many dogs have been saved because of your tireless efforts

I am watching over all the rescues that have arrived, just as you did. We want you to know that when you are feeling down,  when you feel like the world is giving you more than you can handle, when life seems cruel and unfair and you don’t know if you have the strength to continue this journey... think of all of us. It is at those times that we all gather around you and pour into you our new-found strength and all of the love that you gave us we give back to you 10 fold.

Oh and Mom... we contacted a friend of the rescue. We wanted to give you this sweatshirt to keep you warm this winter and to remind you to keep your chin up and believe in yourself. If you hadn't made room for one more... what would have happened to us? Always remember that. 


We are always with you. Just as you gave us a piece of your heart, we each gave you a piece of ours so that you will remain RescueStrong!

Love you forever,
Sampson

PS: Please let our rescue family know that we are well and how grateful we are to have had their love and support.
 

The person who received this letter worked and stayed with Sampson, who was in the "worst of worst" shape when he came into the shelter until he crossed the bridge , but she gave him a lifetime of love in just the short time he was with her and she loved him very much.  I can’t speak for all but I do know that you always think and wonder about a dogs that you “saved” and worked with.   Many others have helped so much more than me but the number seems to be growing and every little bit of help is grateful.  I can name and remember every dog we have worked with and even look at their photos at times, seeing them run and play like they never have before.  Sometimes we never have the answers or the “why” things happen so badly, but it never breaks our spirit, just strengthens it.  


The bad part about helping, you get so attached to them and then one day...the're gone to their new home, usually never to be seen again but you hope they are warm, save and loved but you always wonder.  It's about helping, nothing more... but it's doesn't take away the fact that you miss them and want to hold them one more time... To all the rescue workers that have fostered a dog because they believed in the greater good even when the world was going to hell, thank you... If you are the recipient of one of dogs that was a rescue, give "our" dog a hug because we do remember...  
Thank you...  Ken

See you next week of follow us today on Facebook