Sunday

The Postcard...

When I worked for a Vet, we sent them out every day. It was a postcard to remind you that your dog was due for its annual shots or checkup.  It is a friendly reminder to visit the Vet for a clean bill of health.  I received one this week that sent chills up my spine.  It was a harmless notice but it was a reminder that I didn’t want to see or think about but was forced to. 

MOLLY      AUGUST 2015     RABIES VACC. 3 YEARS

While this seems harmless, and it is, I was reminded to think about the inevitable that is surely to come.   Dutchess and Molly will be 10 years old this year and Clancy is not far behind.  While I do get a 3 year rabies shots for the dogs, will this be the last one they get?  They will be 13 years old the next go around.

We have been so lucky with the health of all of our dogs, just cuts and scrapes and nothing more and with that being said, I have 1 Facebook page and the dogs have two Facebook pages and I am on several more.  The one thing I see often is dogs that have a serious illness or crossed the bridge.   It literally breaks my heart to see that and to read the comments because I don’t ever want to be reminded of it, but it will happen to all of us.

By now, you must know that there is always a goodbye hovering in the shadows of a dog. We are never here for long, or for long enough. We were never meant to share all of your life, only to mark its passage. We come and we go. We come when we are needed. We leave when it is time. Death is necessary. It defines life.      Going Home, Finding Peace When Pets Die  By Jon Katz

I didn’t have any dogs for most of my life and our first dog was for my boys when they were growing up and now I have mine all bunched up which means that I will live the unescapable results in a shorter time span.   It is something I have thought about, and often, but it never hit me until I got the postcard which laid it out right in front of me.  Many people have asked me “how long do Border Collies live” While there is no real answer because there are so many factors, I would always say “12 to 15” years and when I checked with the Google experts, (which I really didn’t want to know) they said 13 to 15 years.

I am going home. I know I leave you in loneliness and pain. That is the way of people when they say goodbye. Dogs are different. We don’t have regrets or wish that we could alter the story of life.  Although I have been called away, I leave you with the memories of our life together.      Going Home, Finding Peace When Pets Die  By Jon Katz


I have been very fortunate to have been home with my dogs their whole life and I do have memories of nearly everything they have done from the funny to the very serious.  We make those memories together and often and the postcard is just a reminder of the unescapable day we all will face at some future time.  For some people it happens early, some later, but it’s a day I dread, not once or twice but 10 more times, making that long walk down our driveway as I have done before and know the path well, traveling to a spot very dear to my heart where our fur family is…  Give your dog your love and attention, not once or twice but forever...Ken


I hope, in your grief and loneliness, that you will consider how sad it would have been had we not had this time together, not had the chance to give each other so much.
I do not morn or grieve, but I will miss standing beside you, bound together on our walks through life, even as I know that there is a long line of others waiting to take my place and stand with you.
Thank you. It was nothing but a gift.      
Going Home, Finding Peace When Pets Die  By Jon Katz


See you next week or follow us today on Facebook