Sunday

A Week of Fun...

Border Collies are like kids in so many ways.  Just ask anyone who has both kids and dogs and you will feel my pain along with so many great memories too!  I’ve seen all the aspects of their life, both the good and bad times, just like I have with my kids.   My kids were so cute growing up and they were so loving and sweet until they tell you to shut up or call you so stupid which most of us can relate to at some point in their upbringing and I'm glad they keep growing and become wonderful family members, but Border Collies seem to stay at that three year old mark and find things to get in trouble...


Puppies are so cute when you bring them home and you can’t wait to let them run around the house and play with everyone but it’s a little different when you find “that” mess, or your furniture is tore up but before long, they grow up, like your kids and things balance out.  Both get a mind of their own and use it and things can be pleasant. 

Here at the farm, I usually have lots of things that need attention from cutting grass, cutting wood or little jobs throughout the day and it seems like I never get ahead.  It’s a blessing a curse to be busy but keeps me active.  It’s so funny to watch the dogs when they don't see me.  As usually, after they eat breakfast, they want to play or explore the trails or lake.  This means playtime for them and as we start out for work, someone will grab a ball and carry it with them just in case we have the chance to stop and toss a few but sometimes that’s not the case.  


If I have a project going, which I usually do, they will attempt to get me to play but then realize that it’s futile.   That’s when their fun starts for them and they will invent games to keep themselves busy, I’ve seen this a million times.  They will chase each other and Molly always starts it, she will run toward the pack, stop and prance her feet, bark and turn and run.  Well everyone chaises her and they will run around the small pond at least three times.  They will rest a while and do it again until they are tired and then its nap-time. Which everyone enjoys including me. 
Something new has started and even the guest dogs will join in, it’s swimming classes.  I didn’t notice it at first but a few of the dogs will come back where I am working and they will be wet from head to toe.  I once spied on them and several will go to the lake and swim, playing each other, cooling off and getting having a little water time. 

Even the guest dogs join in and find their way to the lake...
Meggie and Abby will play “stare” and if you have ever been here, you may have seen it.  All the dogs are busy doing something and you might not notice it at first.  First you will see Meggie, just staring off in the distance, being perfectly still.  “What is she looking at” you ask and you will look in the direction her nose is pointed in and see Abby, staring back at her and whey will play “face-off” not breaking the stance.

Gabby is helping...
The first to move is the loser and then they will run, stop and do it again and can be anywhere from twenty to a hundred feet.  I was on the roof cleaning the gutters several years ago and when I looked toward the dogs in the yard, someone had found a ball and at that very moment Dutchess had the ball in their mouth and if I didn’t see, I wouldn’t believe it, she slung it sideways tossing it nearly 15 feet and the others chased it for some time, scary at times.

I thought this was funny until I thought about it...

It amazes me what they can learn on their own, just like a three year old, when you can’t hear them, you better worry, they’re making a mess.  With all I have seen, it won’t surprise me to see the Jeep driving down the driveway, and furry head barking out of each window…  I better start hiding the keys...   Ken


Should I be worried?

  See you next week or follow us today on Facebook