Sunday

Stay Calm and…

I will admit, I am a news junkie, I don’t watch the new too much or ever watch the local news, but I do read several news sites from top to bottom and even one that is overseas for a balanced update of events. 
When I was young, we watched Walker Cronkite at 6 pm but that was pretty sterile and nowhere close to what we get today which at times is a shame.  News can become addicting and will pull you down into a funk if you let it.  In the last week or so, I have seen things on the world news that is so common place for some but it would send a gasp through me and literally made me sick to my stomach and I’ve ask myself “how can this happen”.  The only think that helps me is that I believe whatever goes around comes around and in the end we will all face our maker and answer to our transgressions and I think some of us may be pleasantly surprised or tragically stunned but we all have a choice. 
With that being said, how do we get out of the whirlwind of the news…? What is the answer to calming our heart and minds?  Nothing that we physically do, can change a thing in world events and the more we think about the turmoil, the worse it seems to me at times, so what do we physically do?


The answer is usually in my lap or laying at my feet and how many times have we missed the opportunity to be comforted?   Is this one of the reasons that we have dogs?  They have many purposes but the one that works for me, calms me and shows me my faults is usually close by.  Just last night, I was sitting in a chair out on the porch trying to cool off and relax.  As usual, several dogs were trying to squeeze into my lap or lick my face and I wanted to just relax.  Doc is the ultimate lover and the one who will knock me out of the chair trying to get on top of me, just to be near.  This time, he squeezed his head between the arm rest and seat, picking up his head nearly turning me over.  “Doc be still” and he walked away dejected because he felt reprimanded and I guess he was.  After a few minutes, I got up and went to him and gave him what he wanted… just some attention and love which he gladly accepted.  Abby kept poking my arm as I type this so I pulled another chair over just so she could sit with me. 
For me, when the day is done or we’re ready to relax, they all have their way to teach me the meaning of life and this is what I have learned from them if I would just watch and listen…

1. Live in the moment...

2. Overcome fear with love...

3. Don't hold grudges..

4. Play every day...

5. Jump for joy when you're happy...

6. Accept yourself...

7. Enjoy the journey...

8. Eat good...

9. Be loyal and dependable...

10. Love unconditionally...

No matter what, dogs love us unconditionally. They wag their tails or lick our face when they see us, no matter what mood we’re in. They still want to give you big wet kisses or get in your lap, even if you've just yelled at them. And they instantly forgive you no matter how you behave. Loving others unconditionally is a difficult task, but it's the one that would surely make the world a better place if we all just tried and listened.

Everyone should have a dog just to teach us how to live, but it only works if we follow their advice…   Ken

See you next week or follow us on Facebook