Sunday

Remembering Again...

If you ever loved an animal, there are three days in your life you will always remember...


The first is a day, blessed with happiness, when you bring home your new friend. You may have spent weeks deciding on a breed. You may have asked numerous opinions of many friends, or done long research in finding a breeder. Or, perhaps in a fleeting moment, you may have just chosen that silly looking mutt in a shelter--simply because something in their eyes reached your heart. But when you bring that chosen pet home, and watch her explore, and claim her special place in your hall or front room--and when you feel her brush against you for the first time--it instills a feeling of pure love you will carry with you through the many years to come.

The second day will occur eight, nine or ten years later.  It will be a day like any other. Routine and unexceptional. But, for a surprising instant, you will look at your long-time friend and see age where you once saw youth. You will see slow deliberate steps where you once saw energy.  And you will see sleep where you once saw activity. So you will begin to adjust your friend's diet--and you may add a pill or two to her food.  And you may feel a growing fear deep within yourself, which bodes of a coming emptiness. And you will feel this uneasy feeling, on and off, until the third day finally arrives.

And on this third day--if your friend and God have not decided for you, you will be faced with making a decision of your own--on behalf of your lifelong friend, and with the guidance of your own deepest Spirit. But whichever way your friend eventually leaves you---you will feel as alone as a single star in the dark night. If you are wise, you will let the tears flow as freely and as often as they must. And if you are typical, you will find that not many in your circle of family or friends will be able to understand your grief, or be able to comfort you, this will be the hardest day of your life.

But if you are true to the love of the companion you cherished through the many joy-filled years, you may find that a soul--a bit smaller in size than your own---seems to walk with you, at times, during the lonely days to come. And at moments when you least expect anything out of the ordinary to happen, you may feel something brush against your leg--very very lightly. And looking down at the place where your dear, perhaps dearest, friend used to lay---you will remember those three significant days.

The memory will most likely be painful, and leave an ache in your heart---As time passes the ache will come and go as it has a life of its own. You will both reject it and embrace it, and it may confuse you. If you reject it, it will depress you. If you embrace it, it will deepen you. Either way, it will still be an ache. But there will be, I assure you, a fourth day when---along with the memory of your companion---and piercing through the heaviness in your heart---there will come a realization that belongs only to you. It will be as unique and strong as our relationship with each animal we have loved, and lost.   Martin Scot Kosins

As I approach day two with some of my older dogs, I flash back to "day one" and I don’t want to see the now aches and pains along with some new gray hair in places that use to be black or red and can’t hardly think about the next step.

A letter from your dog;
By now, you must know that there is always a goodbye hovering in the shadows of a dog. We are never here for long, or for long enough. We were never meant to share all of your life, only to mark its passage. We come and we go. We come when we are needed. We leave when it is time. Death is necessary. It defines life.

I hope, in your grief and loneliness, that you will consider how sad it would have been had we not had this time together, not had the chance to give each other so much.
I do not morn or grieve, but I will miss standing beside you, bound together on our walks through life, even as I know that there is a long line of others waiting to take my place and stand with you.

Thank you. It was nothing but a gift.
And finally, I ask these things of you:
Remember me.
Celebrate me.
Grieve for me.
And then, when you can, let me go, freely and in peace.
When you are ready, do me the great honor of bringing another dog into your life, so you can give and receive this gift again....
Jon Katz

Much has happened since I wrote this over two years ago and it even seems more real to me now.  I hope you had a good Memorial Day, remember it is about remembering all the people that meant and did so much for so many and what they gave, at times even their life.  We can also remember our past pets too, we meant EVERYTHING to them…and they lived their life.... just to Love Us… 

As I dot the last word, I promise you I'm going to sit in the driveway and let them lick me, pounce and even bark with joy with me and I may even bark back with joy because time has a way of slipping up on us... I love them so... Just a year ago, we lost one of our favorite dogs that came to stay with us at times, Roxie, I think of her often...
The story of Roxie...

Ken

See you next week or follow us today on Facebook