Sunday

Two Peas in a Pod…


Elaine and I stepped out into an unknown and out of our comfort zone. This fall, I got a message: “free to a good home” Border Collie on Craigslist;

Border Collie-Purebred (Radcliff)
Beautiful female Border Collie, around 9 months old. Great with kids, but very active. Will require a farm home or a good piece of land. She does not do well with small breed dogs and not likely with cats either.

I contacted the owner within 10 minutes, told him I would be there in the morning but my one condition was for him to take the ad off Craigslist so I could get the BC, and he did.  I told Elaine what I was doing and we both looked at each other and said simultaneous “do we really want to do this?”  I told her I have a bad feeling about this and it was against my better judgment, but moved on.   I was on the road to another state at 5 am to pick up a dog that I knew nothing about or what I would do when I got her.  She was in a cage when I arrived and the owner was very friendly even though he had a gun tucked in his back waistband.  As soon as we were on the road, I called a Vet in Louisville and made arrangements to stop and get all the necessary shots, bath and spay.  She was so scared but when we finally got home and she settled in quickly, she just wanting to be touched and loved. 

Just a few days later, I received another message from several concerned people one as far away as New Jersey;

We have a 9 month old male BC from a puppy mill that didn't work out.  This is one that was given away on Craigslist, would you guys be willing to find him a foster home?  He should be ready to go by the weekend.

In just a few days, we were guardians of two BC’s that were on Craigslist and to think I was hesitant about one, but two?  What are we getting ourselves into, this is officially something that is new to us and to tell you the truth, I am just a little unconvinced of this at this point.

We have worked with recusing BC’s for a number of years and it was always pretty simple but we would never rehabilitate “and” home a dog at the same time.  What have we gotten ourselves into? 
In just a few days, we had both dogs and they were “two peas in a pod” and they were dreamboats and fun to have around.  Boone and Nya would play and scamper around the farm, play “fight” and chase each other. 

Nya went home first and met her new brother and Boone was pledged to a family with a BC and went soon after. 

After both BC’s left, Elaine and I looked at each other and wondered what we were now going to do.  We became so attached to both of the dogs and in a way, wanted them to stay but I put my foot down (in a kind way) and said if we keep them, there is no more room for another rescues, even though in my heart I secretly wanted both of them to stay.  It was a sad day when they went home and as usual we said our goodbyes outside at the gate and took that long walk down the drive toward the house, something we have done many times before when we sold a pup and we honestly felt the same, a part of our heart was missing.  Something that we discovered is that although we were unsure of what we were getting into, these dogs brought so much joy to our family and fit right in and we now know it was a right decision.  We do miss them and know they are in good hands and in loving homes.  Two days after Boone went home, I received “that” call again… “I am looking for help” and we did, and "Jack" too found his forever home. 

Boone any Nya showed me the way, the same way my dogs have many times, but then again, I guess they're all my dogs.  There are hundreds of ways you can help, I know you can be anxious, that first step in the hardest, trust me I know, but the rewards are heartwarming and uplifting and you may save a dog...  Ken

Watch for us next week but follow us today on Facebook