Sunday

"The Circle of Life"

A small, full blooded Border Collie was brought to our door step this Friday that needed a place to stay, learn about life and know that people are good, but his “Circle of Life” was very small and he didn't really know what his purpose was.  At our first meeting, he was a little unsure of me, but very curious.   He was doing very well on a leash but would pull away when someone approached.  
Even Atticus Helped...
After watching my dogs run and scamper in the games they play with each other, he really seemed to want to join in the activities.  I was a little nervous to un-clip him from his leash but was assured by some friends that they would help me round him up if needed.  While I was apprehensive, off came the leash and in an instance, he was gone… running like never before and I had to wonder if this was his first time.  He ran charging straight to one of my pets and I was anxious because there was talk of aggression in his young past.  Once there, it was heaven…he played and pawed at my dogs and off they went into "zoomie" land.  In big circles they ran up the hills and back down chasing each other with tails wagging, tongues flopping and ears sensing every sound there was.  They were in a world of their own, one the new dog may have never experienced and I got choked up and shed a tear of joy for him.  I carried a pocked full of kibble and would treat him every time he got near.  The first treat, he was unsure, but very soon after, thing changed and he was making eye contact and seeking me out for snacks.  He soon learned, I’m not the old man who would pick him up by his tail which is evident, he was happy and so was I, his “Circle of Life” was changing...

We soon learned that he was starving for attention and so needed it.  He sought to be near “humans” that would reward him with love and take him for what he is, something more than a breeding machine for profit as most of his other BC’s companions were just months ago.  In his first 9 months of life, he was unsure of everything, living in 4 different places, born in a puppy mill and never seeing grass and his first move was because of a court order.  He was brought to me because he was relinquished and had been placed in an environment where he had to defend himself from Doberman Pinschers.  This was his “Circle of Life” and it wasn't very good.


After the evening started to slow down and it was feeding time, he was hungry but didn't want the fun to stop and would only take little bites of food and come to me.  He didn't like the kennel and at one point, I sat inside it with him, feeding him from my hand and while he ate, he would look at me and then the food over and over.  His “Circle of Life” had changed, “humans” can be good, but kennels are still bad…  We had a campfire that night and sat around talking with friends while the dogs were laying near our feet enjoying the warmth of the fire.  As sleep approached, “what are we going to do” I asked, looking at him laying next to me feet, “where is he going to sleep, he hates to be kenneled?"  Because of his early environment, a kennel is prison, a place of no escape, no grass to run on, no friends to play with.  A place where “humans” are bad, but now that he met one that can share something he may never have had, he liked it and wanted more and didn't want to let go of what he found.

As we put the dogs up, one young very special little Border Collie got to come into “the man’s” house.  After teaching him that the bed is good, he found his spot right next to my leg and nestled next to me without moving…”humans” can be good.  His “Circle of Life” has changed and so has mine… Ken

Note:   After sufficient time and when his training is complete, he will go to his new home, ready for a full life of love and attention but it will be the right home, I will make sure...  There will be no charge, I owe it to him and all the dogs I help because they help me... Run Free "little one" and enjoy, you deserve it...
Thank you Dr Baker...you saved another... Thank you "Lillie" you taught me...

See you next week but follow us today on Facebook