Sunday

Can you Tell?

As I sit here with a dog/dogs, I ponder the things that we both enjoy.  I know with just “one” dog, it can be confusing at times but if you have a pack or even more than one, it can get mind boggling at times but we quickly learn them by their touch or sound.   When I have had my eyes shut sleeping sitting in the chair, one will jump on my lap and even while sleeping watching TV, I can tell who it is by the sounds they make and texture of their hair. 
There are some that are so obvious, I can tell right away.  Doc will knock you down trying to get at your face to look into your mouth and stare at you.  He has learned that if he walks on his hind legs, he can walk with me nearly the length of the driveway, whining as he walks and he will get louder.  I usually stop walking to pay attention to him and we whine together and he loves it holding his head up in the air. 
Abbie will jump in the bed when she hears my breathing change in the early morning and as soon as that happens, she attacks my face with her tongue and lick as fast as she can, moving to my ears and standing on my chest.  It’s no wonder that I get up between 5:30 and 6 am, today it was 3:30 am. 
You can hear Gabby prance in place when she approaches you from behind.  She will stand in one place and shuffle her feet making herself known just by the sound of her nails hitting the floor and of course, every time I’m at the computer she will stick her head between the armrest and put her head on my lap until she gets her butt scratched.
Annie is another butt scratcher fanatic, but she will do it with much more robustness than Gabby.  She will turn around on the couch and as soon as you put your hand on her back, she will position her backend toward you and get the maximum scratch, bouncing all the time and I swear, her eyes will roll back in her head.
However, can you tell who it is by sound or smell, each are unique and will make a different sigh and even have a unique smell and texture but did you know their paw pads smell like popcorn?
As I sit doing busy work and am focused on a job, I can tell who walks in or who runs off after something.  We share so many thing in our daily paces that sometimes it is scary that we know what the other is thinking.  I know I/we do this with our wife or husband, but with a dog?  I do think so, and have seen it many times especially with a few of the dogs and the one that immediately comes to mind is Dutchess…
Who me...What mud?
I can tell when she runs through the house looking for food because she barks in every direction licking every plate in site.
I know she wants to play because she gets a Frisbee and holds it in her mouth and follows me around laying it down long enough to bark, like I don’t see her…picks it up and moves with me…and barks...
I know she wants attention because she runs to me while I’m walking and jumps on me barking all the time…I once saw her knock a man down…
I know where she is as she runs down the driveway as a car approaches because she barks with joy and the guest receive a free “food clean up” and inspection…
On the table
I know where she is when she is looking at me and then at Clancy while he is holding the Frisbee because she is telling me to tell Clancy to give it up, because she wants the toy…
But most especially I know where she is when she looks at me with those sad eyes and crawls up and circles twice…in my lap…where she should be…and we dream together...
Note to self…NEVER teach a dog to bark when they want something because they always want something…Ken
See you next week or watch us now on Facebook