Sunday

And They Were Free...


This Saturday afternoon, I ask Elaine to help me with straightening up my office, just to “start” it and assist me to get a handle on it.  I have things in piles and drawers that need some organization.  I found my first digital camera in the bottom of a drawer that was a whopper and when I opened the battery cast it had corroded because of the old batteries.  Just as I raised it up to throw it in the trash can, I thought I need to check for the memory card.  Low and behold, there was an old memory card in the camera and when I looked at it, they don’t make that size anymore so I tossed the camera back in the trash.  As I continued to clean out the drawer, I found the adaptor to download the information on the camera.  First the computer would not recognize the card and I had nothing but trouble but I was now captivated.  After many attempts, I finally did get it to open and download…
I was shocked and dumfounded.  I found 19 photos and 3 videos which are priceless to me that I never saw.  They are 10 years old and it is the only video I have of it…if I only knew then what I know now…
We all rush around and overlook the things that are really important to us and miss the things that really matter and I am at the front of the line with this and if anyone should listen, it needs to be me.

When I saw the video, I actually gasped and then a tear ran down my cheek and whenever I watch it, it still happens.  Oh how things have changed…


You see, the real things are free and nothing or no-one can buy happiness or peace of mind and if you try, the more you spend the deeper in life’s debit you get.  We worry about what others think, we worry about what they say and what they think of us and what really matters is what makes us happy and should care less about their concerns and take care of our inner self.   The best vacation we ever took was a cross country trip for three weeks and it was free except for the gas and food and we even carried a cooler and ate out of the back seat and it was grand.  We saw all the sights and out of the “100 places in America” to see, we saw eighty nine of them, and I would go again tomorrow if possible and it was free.  In hindsight, every planned vacation was expensive and we always came back more stressful than when we left.
Henry David Thoreau: "Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder."
The short and only video portrays our first dogs that were “free to a good home” and they brought to us so much happiness.  What started out as a lap companion for Elaine and deer chaser for the farm, turned us into what we are today.  I can’t even imagine where we would be right now if either one of these events did not happen…Funny how this stuff works…  I’ve always said that “when you throw a rock into a pond, the ripples may be subtle, but they can last forever.” And they usually do.  As I’ve said before, because of Max, our life, the lives of others, our children and children of our pup owners have and will be changed because of “free to a good home.”
The camera was discarded 10 years ago and was nearly thrown in the garbage twice on Saturday but something made me check it and because I did, I was swooped back 10 years into a simple time that shaped my life forever.  Look around and see what you might be missing, it just might be priceless…I know I now have.  Thanks Max and Lilly…Dad