Sunday

The Road Trip...


On Tuesday of this week, I had to make a trip to Kentucky to pick up some dog supplies from a friend.  I wanted an early start because of the road construction on Interstate 65 and I left at 5:30 am just to beat the traffic so I could return because I had a lot to do at home.  As I walked to the car this early morning, Doc met me and gave me a goodbye kiss and walked me to the car.  Usually Clancy will meet me, but he was still asleep in the house.  When I got to the car, I opened the door and Doc jumped in and went to the passenger’s side and laid down.  He does travel very well so I shut the car door and off we went, “just us guys”.  He loves to be in the car and even will ride the “four wheeler” with me and run’s to the “Gater” if he sees I’m getting in it, so off we were on another adventure to Kentucky this time in the car.

On the way down, he went to the front seat, back seat, and then to the floorboard and he would start over again but was never a problem and very quiet.  We listened to the radio and played “Name That Tune” which he won and we had a grand time.  After picking up the supplies and starting to return home, I discovered I was hungry so when I was about 30 miles away from home, I stopped at a local fast food joint for some munchies.  I was hungry because I had been going without any breakfast and I never gave it any thought but Doc was hungry too and I soon found out how hungry…
We pulled into the golden arches and I ordered some food.  Up to this point, Doc was not too interested in the things around him but his ears immediately perked up as we stopped at the drive-in.  As I spoke into the ordering area, (Waaaw-waw-waw. Waaaw-waw) he just looked out the front window but I saw his front feet prance in place and as we got closer to the pick-up window and the lady approached us with the sack of goodies, he was in my lap with his head out the driver’s window.  I still had to make change and put my wallet away but he wanted everything that was in the bag and before pulling away, the attendant said, “boy, he’s a little spunky” and my response was “Oh...he’ll be fine”.  They say a dog’s nose is 10,000 times stronger than ours and I never gave it any thought but I now do, believe me, it is true.
“Hold om Doc, I’ll give you a bite” as I started to pull into traffic with a soft drink between my legs, French fries in a bag on my lap and a chicken sandwich in my right hand driving with my left hand and knees trying not to get lettuce my lap.  Now I will tell you, I knew it would be better to pull over and eat but I had everything under control, except Doc…He is food obsesses just like Dutchess and I was in a hurry to get home.  As I pulled into traffic, Doc lunged into my lap again and attempted to get his nose into the bag.  What sleeping dragon have I created by this food stop?  I literally laughed at his attempts, but then there was nothing to do but give him a bite.  “Doc, sit” which he did and he gobbled the French fry out of my hand but the problem, he nearly took my finger off.  OK, new plan…I threw the French fry to the back seat.  He leaped over the seat and found it and returned in a second.  “Ooh, that didn’t take long” I said…”Doc, sit” I threw the FF to the front floorboard and he had to hunt for it, so here I was, throwing French fries around the car while he was chasing them and the whole time, I had a soft drink between my legs, a chicken sandwich in one hand and a dog jumping around the car after French fries and the whole time, we were weaving from lane to lane with the car.  But it’s didn’t stop there…the sandwich was next.  I will tell you that I did attempt to take a bite of chicken sandwich in between throws, but because it was dressed, some dropped to my lap.  I would take a bite and Doc would take a bite weather I wanted him to or not as we traveled down a 4 lane highway in and out of lanes and traffic.
The moral of this story…

Stopping for food is a bad thing with a hungry dog.  Pull over and eat your food, trust me, this is better. And I assure you, when people see you with a long haired blond with a long nose licking your face and hands and going to your lap, this can be taken in several ways and I don’t want to explain it to anyone…again.

All in all, we did have a wonderful trip and Doc got fed.  I ate when I got home…