Sunday

Spring...

With all the snow and cold weather, we are about three weeks behind in our spring chores around the farm.  At one time, we had a few good days but it started raining and rained nearly eight inches in just a few days, so we are really behind in the things that need to be done and this drives me crazy.  Why can’t it rain in August or at least spread it around a little.
The one thing that I didn’t plan for is the dogs are behind on exercise too.  They have been cooped up for as long as I have and you can only play “fetch” in the house or “chair ball” so much and they really never get a good workout and as we know, the Christmas tree can only take so much before it falls apart from Dutchess knocking it over.  When it’s muddy and raining even though they wouldn’t mind, I do, and it’s always a quick decision who is “not” coming in on those kind of days when they have played in the mud.  So the fact is, we’re all behind and I am forever doing another project which complicates everything so when this week started, the weather was great and off I went with high hopes of getting some of the much needed tasks started and completed, or so I thought…
Plowing…Just walk toward the tractor, Gator, 4-wheeler, rototiller, chipper and they will go crazy and run and bark at me, the wheels and at each other and they are in Heaven.  Just for laughs, I will look at them and go Varoom…Varoom, Varoom and they will start.  Just today, I was going to the big lake and needed the Gator to haul stuff.  Nellie, Ruby (weekend guests) and Clancy got in the Gator with me and we looked like the Clampetts moving to Beverly Hills.

That's me driving and Elaine is sitting directly behind me...
This week has been especially busy because of the window of good weather and things that needs to be planted.  A friend of the family had given us a bag of Cannas and they need to get into the ground before the rain started again so off we went around the lakes to naturalize…and feed the hummingbirds.  

Everything started well and as the long flower tubers were used up, a lot of the smaller ones had the shape of a dark ball.  Well you know what balls do to them and they were in high gear and impatient to play.  I would dig a hole and plant a few and they would run off and scamper together and I wondered what they were doing?  Little did I know, they were grabbing a "round" brown Cannas rhizome and acting like it was a ball.  Annie and Abbie would hand it off to each other and then they would come back to me and lay it by my feet for me to throw, which I did not.  We’re not short of balls and have many stored up for “ball emergency.” 
I would guess that there are just as many thoughout the farm where they left them for the times I would not bring one with me.  While I’m busy doing a chore, Dutchess or Clancy will always find one and lay it next to me and at times, if I’m really busy and put the ball up where they can't reach it, they have been known to find six or so in a row and bring them to me to throw…If only they find the Cannas that they scattered…Little Buggers…So today, playtime is in order…we all needed it...