Sunday

Sleep...



As I sat in my Recliner on Saturday afternoon, I looked around me and saw six Border Collies asleep in various positions in the family room with me and I knew the other two were asleep on the back porch.  It seems like time is marching on and we are getting older and hopefully wiser.  I know I’m older and the “wiser” is still in question, at times. 
We got a dog in on Saturday to stay with us and we see her every year and she is a dreamboat.  As always, we catch up and check on things and have a good short reunion.  I ask, “How old is she, about 4 years old?”  And he said “She is six”  I remember so well her when she was here as a pup and the family that took her and the day she went home and it was not possible that she was because it was like yesterday, but she was.  Where does time go?  Several years ago, my crew would not let take a nap and especially not with me and especially in the day.  They would be barking and licking my hand wanting me to get up and do something and we would.  Today they look for a place to flop down and just be content they are together.  Even Dutchess has come to appreciate my lap and will come and stand at the foot of the recliner and until I give the command “up” and she will climb into my lap and circle once before falling into a deep sleep, something she would never do before.
We have had dogs for many years and started out pretty na├»ve.  Like most people, we think we know everything and have learned the ropes by trial and error and what works for us.  We learn every day and with each new litter we do something different after the fact, we ask ourselves “why didn’t we do that before?” it much easier and better.  I’ve always said that just about the time we’re too old to do this, we will be experts.  In some funny ways, many have suggested a book, but I know I’m no expert, just what works for me and if I did, it would be some of the funny stories and there are thousands…besides would any one read it, much less follow it…like most things, you have to live it before you do it.

After just a short time of rest and relaxation on Saturday, which is always coveted, I felt something on my face.  When I opened my eyes, Dutchess was holding her head up near mine and from the side of her mouth she had her tongue out sideways, and was licking my face letting me know something was up…From a deep short sleep, this was awakening and startling but when she went for my nose holes, I was wide awake and in a hurry.  This woke Abbie up and she ran immediately to the “ball” drawer and starting barking for a ball.  Meg jumped up on the couch and also started prancing and barking looking at Abbie and telling her to get the ball in “dog talk”.  Annie ran to Abbie as to help her get the ball and hopefully it will pop out the drawer by more barking, but did not but only intensified the effect.  Gabby, as always ran after the other dogs barking and crouching at them watching every move wanting to herd them.  By now, Annie found a ball that was stashed by her and had it in her mouth.  All the dogs were running after her trying to get it and they were jumping from one couch to another and in a circle.  Clancy just looked at me as if to say, “I can’t stop them…its outa control” and it was.  This whole time, Dutchess looked at me and with those sad eyes said “I guess it’s time to get up” the whole time knowing what she did.  As she sashayed up the steps, I thought of what a little stinker she is as we went to play ball...
Maybe they’re not as old as I thought…