Sunday

A Starfish Made a Difference...



“Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

Once upon a time, I was not a very wise man and went to work, never writing and only lived for the day, thinking of myself…

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As I walked along, I never looked at anything nor did I see anything or anyone because I was too busy and never smiled at myself.  I walked faster to get more done…

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

As I got closer, I saw myself doing nothing, and I was going nowhere…

He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"

I came closer, and I said nothing to him…

The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

I didn’t listen…

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.

I said nothing…

To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up, and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."

I started to think…

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach, and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

I always thought I couldn’t…

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said,
"It made a difference for that one.”

I never helped anyone or anything and then bent down and started to help…
Loren Eiseley  and  Ken Shuck

Sometimes we feel like we can’t help or undertake anything, and it may be that we just haven’t put one foot in front of the other. 

Dutchess...The First dog I took in, that needed a home, and my life changed...
Years ago, when we got our first dogs, I had a different outlook on life.   I am so pleased, and with the help of friends who have our same passion, we have helped find Border Collies a good home.  Not only does it change the life of the dog, it changes the life of the family receiving the dog, but the real benefit is that it changes the person rescuing, and this last Friday "it saved another".  Only with your help and people who have this passion can we accomplish anything.  At one time, I did not care and only “talked the talk” and when I realized that I needed something more, I “walked the walk” and my life changed, when I “bend down, pick up a starfish”… There are more dogs than I can imagine that needs help, and we can't save them all but to that dog that we help... it does.       Ken

Follow Clancy's Dream