Sunday

We Grow Together...

Tonight, as I drift back to my first dog, I was five years old and there are many memories that I can see like it was yesterday and I remember when “Daisy” came home with my Dad because she needed a home and how happy I was.  She was an unkempt little dog with spots of black and gray and a front white paw and she even had a black tail and I was the happiest little boy in the whole town.  Daisy’s time was short and she didn’t make it too long on this earth, but the time we had together was lifelong.  We bonded and formed a pact and we had each other.  You see my sister was older and in her words I was a little “creep” and to tell the truth, I probably was but we loved each other like brother and sister.  Daisy and I were meant for each other and I loved her so, because she was mine, all mine.  Daisy passed away in just a short time because she was sick.  All I remember, I missed her and cried for days.  My best friend, my only friend was gone to dog heaven.  Little did I know the impact she would have on a five year old boy and how she would change my life, but life goes on and we grow up…
Today, Maddie Grace, my Granddaughter picked her first dog and of course it was a border collie...
This Saturday, they made the trip to the farm and saw all the pups for the first time.  After waiting and being on the “list” for many months, it was finally time to pick and I drifted back to how happy I was and I saw myself, just a little in Maddie.  I remember the excitement I had and saw the same excitement in Maddie and fast forwarded to tomorrow…Frisbee, ball playing and having a best friend to share dolls, under the table treats and sleepy time.  You see, Maddie Grace is no stranger to our dogs and this will be a great fit.
She and Clancy are best friends now and share some special times doing special things together.  What a life she will have and in her old age, she will remember this time, I know I do.  It’s in a special place that not too many have ever seen, and I have.
Daisy suddenly became sick and went with my Dad.  I stood at the window and watched them leave in my blue overalls and Mom was sad.  I just wanted Daisy to come home, but she never did and my heart ached and at times still does.  Dad did what was best for her and I never asked, nor did they ever tell me, even as an adult, but then I knew…
Maddie Grace will live her life with her new puppy, one that I never had until I started raising border collies.  I will tell her how wonderful a dog is and how much love they can give you and they will share so many fun times together, but I suppose she knows all that or will soon learn.  I am so proud that I can offer something she can, and will always have in her mind.  She will always fondly remember the first time she met her new puppy.
They will share some of the most monumental moments in a young life, but a secret that she will realize, is her cute wiggle little friend had grown up and shared the best time of their life, together.  I’m sure she will not see this until she matures or maybe not until “her” golden years of time, but on this Saturday, she spent time with Mom, Dad, Nana, Papaw and a basket full of furry bundles of love, but I will assure you, she will remember… I know I did…

Run Free Daisy…Your life was so short but made such a huge impact on a five year old that is remembered to this very day…Until again...Ken