Sunday

A Quite Time...

We are in the dead of winter here at the farm and this winter has been one for the books.  As I set here next to the window, I hear the roar of the season from the wind and as I look outside, even though it is sunny on this Saturday, I see the snow blowing sideways from the 35 mile an hour wind that seems constant.  But there is a peace about it as I look down and see several dogs laying at my feet.  Just last night Keely, a guest dog was next to me on the couch with her front paws and head in my lap as I stroked her head and she deeply slept.  Dutchess was between my legs, stretched from one end of the recliner to the other and I too rubber her head.  She watched me for the longest time, not wanting to give it up for sleep, but she did.  Clancy had curled himself up in a dog bed in front of the TV.  He was sound asleep and was dreaming, and I know this because I watched him run and chase rabbits in his dreams.

Several nights ago, Meg was in and as always, she would sit close to me and “paw” my hand to get me to rub her, and when I do, her eyes would drift into the back of her head and she seems to be in paradise.  Everyone has a routine to get attention one way or another, but the worse is Gabby…on a dead run, she will run toward me and at about 8 feet away, she will leap into my lap.  This is very cute if you are prepared for it, but when you’re asleep, this can be the fastest you ever woke up.  In addition to the leaping, she will roll in your lap, one minute she is curled up like a ball and five seconds later, she’s on her back and her feet are straight up in the air and will do this for hours, but all of the dogs can root their nose under your arm and keep it up until you have to rub their head.  This must be a Border collie requirement because I have always seen it happen and in a way, they need it. It’s very comforting to have the dogs nuzzle, paw, cuddle and snuggle with you and I am so glad they do.  Not only is the Border Collie the Smartest dog breed it is the most loyal dog, but then if you have one, you know this...

As Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson so beautifully writes in Dogs Never Lie About Love, "Learning to know somebody intimately is often the beginnings of dislike, sometimes even of contempt. Among humans, love often does not survive a growing acquaintance, but in a dog, love seems to grow with acquaintance, to get stronger, deeper. Even when fully acquainted with all our weaknesses, our treachery, our unkindness, the dog seems to love strongly — and this dog love is returned by most humans. We, too, seem to love our dogs the more we get to know them. The bond grows between us and our dogs."

This is why we need dogs, not only do they fill a void, hopefully, we fill their needs too.  They do something for us that rarely a human can do. No matter how messy your life gets, no matter how many mistakes you make or how often you make them, regardless of your looks, income or social standing, your dog never judges you. They always thinks you are wonderful and loves you with all their heart.

It’s late Saturday night and as I am finishing up this writing, one of the dog’s jumps up, putting its paws on my chair and it suddenly it came to me.  I turned and welcomed the dog into my lap and thought about this moment.  This is not for me, it’s for the dog.  “They” need the attention, love, kindness and compassion from us.  I always thought it was the other way around and they give to us but it works both ways, and I don't always see it.   I hugged her as long as she wanted and wonder, do I give enough…

"Dogs are minor angels, and I don't mean that facetiously. They love unconditionally, forgive immediately, are the truest of friends, willing to do anything that makes us happy.  If we attributed some of those qualities to a person we would say they are special.  If they had ALL of them, we would call them angelic. But because it's "only" a dog, we dismiss them as sweet or funny but little more.  However when you think about it, what are the things that we most like in another human being?  Many times those qualities are seen in our dogs every single day-- we're just so used to them that we pay no attention".  Jonathan Carroll
Let's think about it...
Ken