Sunday

A Difference…

If you feel that you might get your toes stepped on, or this is directed at you or anyone you know, it is not…

This has been a very bad winter season for some dogs, there are some positive outcomes and changed ways of many people have occurred because some concerned citizens worked together.  I am citing a case that was all over the social media outlets this week and it also made big news in the New York papers.  Glen Highland Border Collie Farm was asked by the Montgomery County SPCA to assist in the seizure of many border collies at Flat Creek Border Collies, in Sprakers, NY.   The short of it, people got together and did something to protect nearly 100 border collies that were chained outside in the negative 45 below zero weather with no water that had been gripping the north/east for nearly a week, and it worked…

The short point, people got together and worked as a group, a Facebook page was started and hundreds and thousands of people called the Governor, senators, representatives, SPCA, law enforcement and even drove by the house just to watch and check.  Local media and law enforcement was besieged by the complaints from people who cared about the dogs and when Law Enforcement did not file charges, they were sued by the group.   In this particular case, I have a friend that also contacted the leaders of this very cause and offered any help, as did I, and I know this is not the first time for them.  This case gripped at the hearts of many, but they organized, and it worked…and even a state representative is going to introduce changes in the law, which we need to do too.  If we don’t complain, nothing will change for the better, because there is not a problem in their eyes, and it can work, the dogs were rescued and the owner was charged, but it took work…

I was also contacted by a friend that had deleted a post that was put on their own social media a few days ago about animal abuse that was horrid and in their own words;

“It did disturbed me, and I did not even watch it, it had to affect others that way too.  I looked at her page and she had a lot of post of dogs and how they died. Don't need people in my life like that.  I know it is a public forum and you can post anything, but videos that disturbing, I will use my option and block you. It was removed off the page last night, I guess people see helping animals, is spreading the bad. This lady has never been to a meeting or function.” 

The person who posted has never helped or raised a finger to save an animal and I too delete these types of post on our dog’s Facebook page.  It’s one thing to alert and ask for help, to change something, but you need to do more than “share”, and it can work…
Because of the cold season, it has been bad for animals, but hot weather and rainy weather is bad too.  Because I’m connected in the dog world, I know of people that make “cat shelters” for outside strays that they can’t catch, and will bring inside the ones they can, they also round up dogs giving them shelter too, but you can also donate your time to the local shelter, or give food, old towels, or stop and see what they need, it works…
Make a difference, get involved, do something, don’t just “share” or “agree” to a post, I got this from a friend this week;

“Anyone can take 1 seconds to share, it takes a person who wants change to do something about it, then in my opinion you become the voice for the animals.”  

You can use social media to help and for a good purpose, but remember when someone shares, they are asking for help and hopefully they have done everything they can do and are now asking for more assistance.  As I have said, not everyone can foster or work at a shelter/rescue, but everyone can support in some way,  It does my heart good to know that the many dogs that I have rescued and agencies that have benefited from my support can do so, even if I don’t see the results.  My only hope is the shelter or the new owner will hold their face, looking into their eyes and tell them “We love you” and then, the dream really works…
Ken


Glen Highland Farm is a 501-C-3 organization and are accepting donations for the care of the fully surrendered dogs from the Flat Creek Border Collies raid.  Your help will be greatly appreciated! Visit this link to make a donation online:  I did…