Sunday

Let's have a "Party"

Well here it is, just 5 days after New Year’s Day and a time to reflect back on last year and the events on this “Eve”…
New Year’s Eve fell just a few days ago and everyone had a blast here at the farm.  Elaine and I were going to have a quiet time and watch the ball drop at midnight or so we thought… In the past, we’ve had friends over and a party would usually last until the sun came up and we would have breakfast but this year was a little different.  This year it was with our 4 legged friends and we would watch the “ball” together or so we thought…again…
We know “ball playing” with Dutchess was out because of the turned over recliner and the Christmas on the ground with its ornaments on the floor, so we needed to think up something different this year…
”Thanks Dutchess” as she looked to the ground.
Let's have a party! was shouted, and as soon as these words were spoken, Dutchess's ears perked up...

First we needed to know, what we would eat for the party?  Some of the dogs wanted to try some new kibble, but Clancy wanted a big juicy bone and Dutchess wanted a Frisbee full of potato chips and when she was done, she said “she” could play with the Frisbee…This was quickly nixed for various reasons but the main one was because we were still picking up Christmas ornaments that had fallen under the couch.  I chose a new kibble, it was safe and much better than potato chips.  Annie wasn’t hungry as usual so things were fine and it was OK with her.  “What to drink…What to drink” Dutchess exclaimed… ”Champagne”? With great big eyes and a happy smile…”NO” I said “clean water and not dirty water from the pond” Such a sad face she had…

Ok, what are we going to do?  “TV” Meggie said “but I want my spot on the couch”  “No I want it” said Gabby and just then Clancy said “it’s mine...if I want it” and the room went quiet except Dutchess shouted… ”Wine…Wine…Wine, I’ve seen you drink it and besides, it’s good for us”…”NO” I said “clean water for you, and beside I don’t want to see the effect, especially with you”, again bowing her head…so mistreated I thought…
Molly wanted some lap time, Doc wanted to be in charge of the pack but got the stink eye from Clancy…little did Clancy know it would soon happen.  Abbie just wanted to be alone and to be the house dog again, not having every “guest dogs” inside so she wouldn’t be booted out.
All in all we all said what we wanted and it was all a little different but in the long run, it was “Peace” and getting along and knowing what the other one liked and needed.  

Everyone was full and comfortable after the snack, and after watching TV and feeling cozy near the fire, we all drifted asleep.  Gabby on my lap, Annie’s head on my arm, Molly and Clancy side by side on their pallet, Meggie curled in a ball on the couch, Doc upside down next to Meggie and Abbie at my foot watching, just to make sure no one comes close to me.  We all were at peace as we’d wished for and the world was in full of harmony…I heard the clock strike twelve and opened my eyes and saw Dutchess gulping down the Champagne from the half empty glass and as she finished, she turned to me saying…”got orange juice…I love Mimosa’s”…Thank Goodness the Christmas tree was down…

As I heard the singing of “Auld Lang Syne”, which is a Scottish song from my chair, I looked around and saw peace, and as you know, the song is meant to evoke the memories of the past year and brings on new hope for the New Year, I just wonder what the New Year would bring. 

Tune In…It’s never dull…  Follow the Dogs on Facebook