Sunday

A True Story…


Well Christmas is over and all went well and everyone is settled into the rest of winter.  We are getting back to normal, and even the dogs are getting settled back into their regular routine.  All of my attention is stretched in several directions during this season and the dogs are without my constancy care but they will stay close to my side, evermore, wanting more lap time and play time.
The day after Christmas, I was putting the dogs up in the kennel for the night and while they were eating, I came back inside got ready for bed, watch a little TV, and ate a little snack with a glass of Chardonnay.  Just after Elaine went to bed leaving me in the TV room, I went back to the kennel and checked up on everyone and made sure everyone was content the final time.  Before we go any further, Elaine took Clancy, Molly and Abbie to bed with her upstairs from the TV room and I was going to stay up a little later just to wind down…and that's when the trouble started…
As I was checking on each dog and saying goodnight, Dutchess looked oh so pitiful and looked up at me with those sad eyes and I said goodnight and she just bowed her head and I knew I had crushed her.  I said “Want to go in”   OMG, such bright eyes and she stood up and turned in a circle and barked.  Off we went into the house and to the TV area to just wind down…another glass of Chardonnay and off we were to settling in, or so I thought…


She stood by the side of my recliner and just looked at and I knew what she wanted...“Want to play ball”? Is all I had to say and off she was to the special ball drawer next to the sink.  She jumped on the counter and tried to open the drawer and looked back at me and barked again saying “Hurry up, I’m ready to play”!  As soon as I got to the drawer, I took out a ball and gave it to her and she ran to the couch and laid the ball in my seat, waiting for me and off we were.  "Hurry up" she said  "we're going to play ball"   I did caution her that we needed to be quiet because if the other dogs heard us, they would want to play too and we would make a mess and she agreed to be quiet…

We played so hard, and did until she was finally finished and she laid down and panted heavily while she rested with the ball in-between her legs.  We had so much fun and Dutchess will always put her all into whatever she does and on this night, she knocked over a leather recliner by diving into it to get a ball and on a spin move, she fell into the Christmas tree and sent it to the ground where ornaments flew in every directions but it was after the last glass of Chardonnay, everything was just fine...  

She was so happy and after she cooled down, up on my lap she came and fell asleep for a few minutes until my TV show was over.  When I crawled into bed, up she came... turned around and laid down where she fell asleep right next to me and in all the years, this was one of the first time she did this…

I did sit the chair back up and at least put the Christmas tree back into the area it was in but most of the ornaments were placed on the couch, and when Elaine saw the disruption the next morning, she did ask “did you and Dutchess play Ball”?  “Yes” I said, and in the Christmas spirit, she said, “Looks like you had fun” and smiled…as she replaced the ornaments back on the tree...Merry Christmas Dutchess...

One of now favorite Christmas memories…