Sunday

The Misfit Dog

I remember it so well, “We will never keep another dog” and it was because had so many at the time…three.  “We can't keep her, and that’s final” Remember men, if you say this, I promise you, you will eat these words…and I did...

When our little Abby was sold, she was sold to a family that had three kids and  they were not in control, and now they were taking on a puppy.  It took 4 hours to pick a dog out and as they drove down the driveway, I turned to Elaine and “I just have a bad feeling about this” and walked inside.  About 6 months later we got that call.  “Can we bring Abby back, she is so destructive, she bites the kids tore up our couch, ate the side of our cabinets and is doing everything wrong”  I thought is this one of ours and said sure, it’s our policy, we always take one back.  Abby was the first to come home. 
Elaine and I was very apprehensive about her coming back and if she is this bad and I really don't know where to start.  Abby was dropped off in a hurry and now she is back home.  We both watched her for the bad behavior and was nearly wearing protective clothing.

We watched and watched and watched and “nothing”, she came up to me and wanted some loving and we went into the house where we were ready for her to tear the side out of the cabinet.  She jumped up on the couch and went to sleep, just like she belonged here…

We worked with her for about 2 weeks, not really knowing what to do because she has done nothing wrong.  No barking, chewing, anger or any destructive behavior.  She was perfect.  Once we determined she was fine, I posted on the web, “Free to good home, loving Border Collie”.  We never re-sale one of our dogs because we just want them to have a good home.  Right off the bat, we got the call for her.  Everything was perfect and she went home.  It was the perfect couple and 6 months later I got the call.  Some devastating events had happened and she couldn't stay.  They loved Abby very much and when she was dropped off, it was a very tearful moment for all of us.   Abby looked at me and the first thing on order was a bath and after that she jumped on the couch and went to sleep.  Abby was home again…
“Can we keep her”?  Elaine said “We will never keep another dog”  “We can't keep her and that’s final” I said!  Abby came to my lap as I was sitting on the couch and I didn't want to go back on my word and anyway, it was bedtime and Abby came too.  She snuggled right by my side all night just wanting to be loved.
When I got up the next morning, “I said we will never have more than 4 dogs” Abbie was home, she belonged here and she was here to stay.  Elaine gave me "that" look and smiled knowing I had changed my mind.
Abby & Meggie on a road trip
Abby was now part of our family and an asset to the farm and she even  became the official “House Dog”.  Yes these words are not the first ones I have eaten and probability won’t be the last.
Abby always reminds me that it’s not the place where the dog is raised, it’s the people and support family that makes them who they are and how they will turn out.
I can't imagine not having Abby and she is the most active dog we have and most loving too.  She give you everything that's in her mind and body.  Even after she has hurt her rear paw from running she will then run on three legs and even keep up with the pack.  If only I had that spirit and drive.   One thing nice about is that she is a Shuck Border Collie, bred and born here from Clancy and Molly.  I feel lucky and privileged to have her and if you want to know, we now have 8 border collies....