Sunday

We'll Never Know


This Friday evening Elaine and I were going out to eat and driving to town.  If you've never been here, we live in a pretty rural area and as we were driving through a very small town, I saw a pickup truck and it’s driver trying to pick up a dog.   He was driving very slow and watching the dog dart through a few of the houses in this very small town.  I saw the dog did have a collar with tags so I knew it belonged to someone but I didn't know who.  The driver would weave around the houses in the truck and it appeared he was looking through the side yards looking for the dog, I knew he was trying to catch this dog or steal one.  She was a beautiful German Shepherd about 6 months old, but would run from him when he approached her.  We stopped the car and I got out and went in the opposite direction and around a house.  There she stood looking at him and then at me and back at him and then she ran to me.  I got down on one knee and she ran into my arms and got as near to me as she could.  I consoled her and looked at her collar and her name was “Emma”.  It was an image that has been burned into my eyes I'll never forget. I had her as the man in his 30’s came up and said thanks.  He said it was his dog and she had gotten loose and she has run for a mile or so.  I ask her name (already knowing it) and he told me it was “Emma”. For a very brief second, I knew there would be a problem if he said any other name.  I had decided that the dog was not going and I believe I would have done whatever it took to assure that.  He had the name right and to tell the truth, I was disappointed for several reasons… He took her in a crude way and she was scared and I looked away as she was looking at me.

I am not a dog trainer, just a dog lover and I knew if a dog is in distress and this dog was.  In the owner’s defense, all dogs will run from the owner at times, but this was different, I could see it in Emma’s eyes.  In just a brief second, in my mind, I had her name on the kennel door and her food bowls was full, but she was not my dog.  He was aggravated and he took her back.  After handing her over, I never looked back and maybe it’s because I didn't want to see her face and eyes looking back at me, again something I didn't want to live with, there are just too many regrets and looks and should of’s that I will never get out of my mind and wished things were different.
We drove off feeling good on one hand and horrible on the other.  What could have I done what I should have said.  Even though she wasn't a border collie, my heart was still with her.  I guess on hind side I could have offered to board her, socialize her, train them both or teach him about dogs and what they can offer, but there just wasn't time.  It happened in a flash, but it wish I did make him listen or attempt.
As I sit here writing this it brings to my mind a beautiful black and brown face dog searching for an answer from someone she didn't know and not know where she was going.  Hopefully, Emma is in his lap, in his living room and there is peace in the world.  I will never know what happen to Emma but rest assured, when that time comes, and we are at the bridge, I will find out… Good luck Emma…

I'm sorry, I should have done more…

Many years ago, I was cutting my grass during a very hot time in August.  I saw a disheveled man walk up to the water sprinkler and attempt to get a drink of cool water.  I was far enough away and he didn't see me, but I watched.  He looked a mess, dirty, unshaven  and I wanted him to leave.  After several times without getting his fill of "Just a drink of water" he became discouraged and left and at that time I was glad, but I couldn't get the image out of my heart and I have never forgot it.  I should have done more....I'm sorry...

Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing so, some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.  Hebrews 13:2

Ken...