Sunday

Wishes Do Come True...

Near the end of March of this year, one of our favorite dogs, Peyton, came to visit for nearly two weeks while her owners went on vacation with their kids in Florida.  When the reservation was made, the owner said she may want to breed Peyton once again before she was spayed, but we would talk about it at another time. 
A little background to this, two years ago, I was contacted by an owner of a Border Collie that wanted to breed their dog with Clancy that lived some distance from us.  After many discussions and getting health and ABCA records, everything was set.  Peyton was brought to our house and “lived” with us for nearly two weeks.  We fell in love with Peyton and cherished her visit.  She was a wonderful dog and fit right into our pack.  When Peyton went home, she was carrying a little of the farm home with her.  Sixty three days later, Peyton delivered a litter of beautiful pups that also belonged to our Clancy.  We were so proud and so was the owner of Peyton.  Everything went well for the pups and they were loved and hand raised by the owner and her children.  The hardest part was turning them loose to good homes as I know so well.  Many times the owner stated that she would love to keep them all, this too I know so well…
As fate would have it, when Peyton came to visit during the family vacation this spring Peyton was in season.  I asked the owner, “What do you want me to do, keep her penned”?  I was told just to let nature take its course…Well as most of you know; nature will always take its course here at the “fertility farm”, especially with Clancy.  As things often occur, Peyton went home again with a little bit of the farm with her and the owner was thrilled to have puppies again.  She stated it would be wonderful to keep one, but they just didn’t know if it would “work out” but she always wanted another Border Collie which I can understand. 
The first of June, Peyton gave birth to a beautiful litter, Peyton was doing well and so were the pups or so we thought…The second week, the owner noticed something just wasn't right with one of the pups. One of the  little girls was smaller and had a hard time holding her head up.  She said it appeared that she was about a week behind the others, but she was a fighter…

A series of emails between us…

Their eyes started opening yesterday. I am worried about a girl pup born last #7...she is behind the others with her head control...Her eyes are opening...She seems off.  I am wondering if she didn’t get oxygen.  I am also worried if she isn't getting enough milk?  A vet visit may be in order...I just noticed the last couple of days...the vet came by last weekend and thought they looked great.  I am worried… My little girl pup is still struggling but she is a fighter and a lover.
The vet didn't or wasn't able to confirm ANYTHING.  He said her ear canals look ok...Her eyes appear to respond to light??  But yet he witnessed her unable to locate food or respond to calls or claps...or something dropping in front of her...Never looked that way or followed it.  He thinks she might have cerebral palsy??  He said he is going to do some research and get back with me .

As long as “Saige” was with the other pups, she was fine and did great.  Clancy and I went up to see Peyton and the pups the last week of July.  Saige was a beautiful little girl and the owner had mentioned that there were other things that were just not “right”.  Her head was smaller, her tail was shorter and it was not on center, just a little to the side, something I had never seen before.  Saige played with Clancy, jumping on his back and pulling "his" tail and Clancy just let her.  I wondered if he sensed something was wrong? 
 All of the pups were gone except “Tex” and Saige.  Tex was scheduled to go to his new home and Saige was going to be on her own.  A Vet trip was scheduled and tough decisions needed to be made, a real tough decision…

Well I made the tough decision to sell Tex to a family that lost their dog.  It was tough, many tears but sometimes the hardest decisions are the right ones. So we are left with Saige.  I still would like a home for her, but will be looking out for her best interests.  It has been a tough day at our house.  I admire your ability to do this...I am pathetic...Here I am handing off a pup and crying like a baby!!  She started crying too, I knew she was the one!  But I told myself, I’ve got a bad feeling…

The Vet trip several days later…

I took Saige to the vet and we did the "Whistle" test...Blowing a whistle while she was sleeping and she didn't budge...She is deaf... 

News I didn't want to hear, who would want a “special” pup?  One with a short tail that’s off to the side and deaf.  This is the hard part about having pups and being responsible and your heart breaks.  How can you find someone who has no connection to her and possibly love her like we do?  At one time, the Vet talked of putting her to sleep something we did not want to do but if it was inevitable,  I would go and get her and bury her here with my little ones, where she would always have a home.

The last email from the owner…

We are keeping her!!   I made the executive decision...From this day forward we have no more puppies available!!  Peyton loves her and we do too...she slept with me last night!!

I wept with Joy…It did work out…but only because someone made the hard decision to make a special little girl the center of their life and do the right thing...Thank you Patricia...from all of us...Give her a hug from all the Border Collie lovers everywhere...Saige now has her forever home and Patricia now has her second dog which she always wanted...
Follow Our Dogs on Facebook