Sunday

To The Ones Who Can't Speak

Several times a month, I will get a calls or email from someone wanting help finding their dog a home.  There are many reasons to do this and I'll never pass judgment because I too, have had to do the same thing myself, but I will also tell you, I have regretted it most every day, but it was still the right decision at the time.  Most people don't know that we help people that can't keep their Border Collie but it’s something we can do because of the coverage from our website and Facebook page.
There are many reasons that people give up a dog, some are justified and some are not, but the reason is something I really don't care about, because I want to find the dog a good home before it goes to a shelter or in the some cases the worst case scenario, but enough of the bad stuff.
Early this week, I got a message about a dog and the owner really needed to find the dog a good home because of circumstances that were beyond their control.  I made a few phone calls and then posted it on our Facebook page and in just few days, someone who I didn't know contacted me about a dog from another state and on Thursday, a problem was solved and a person got the dog of their dreams, but most importantly, a dog was saved from a shelter. 


As I think back, this has occurred many times and at this point, we have been 100% successful in finding great dogs to homes to people willing to take on a great dog.  Now don't get me wrong, sometimes matches can be bad and we need to try again, never giving up but all in all, it goes very well when dogs are saved from shelters and sometimes a little work may be needed to make that happen but in the long run, it is so rewarding.  As I sit here, I can think of MANY dogs that I know have been rescued, In fact I don't know of many people who have not.  Why, even four of my dogs were given to me because they needed a “good home” and I can't think of life without them.

I do try to educate people about the ills of owning a BC and at times attempt and direct them to get an older dog or search for an adult BC that will fit their specific needs.  Sometimes Border Collies and rescued Border Collies especially get a bad rap, but it’s usually misplaced blame and the blame should go to the previous owner for not researching the breed or doing what it takes to keep peace in the house and to make their Border Collie a happy Border Collie. 

Ninety Nine percent of the times, it’s the humans who screw it up and it should be 100% of the time that we fix it.  As a breeder and lover of the breed, it is my responsibility to do something, get involved and make a difference.  If I truly am a person who is a responsible, it’s not just about my dogs, it’s about all dogs.  I know a breeder in Kentucky that was acquaintances with a person who worked in a shelter in their town.  The shelter was full and knowing the fate of a beautiful Border Collie, she paid and obtained the dog and took it home and in time re-homed the dog, in effect, saving it’s life.  Friends of ours that live in Bedford Kentucky have three of our dogs, but they assist the local shelter when the shelter is overcrowded and will temporarily house dogs and friends of ours lets their kids volunteer at the local shelter and in-turn learning responsibilities.


A young girl was walking along a beach upon which thousands of starfish had been washed up during a terrible storm. When she came to each starfish, she would pick it up, and throw it back into the ocean. People watched her with amusement.
She had been doing this for some time when a man approached her and said, “Little girl, why are you doing this? Look at this beach! You can't save all these starfish. You can't begin to make a difference!” 
The girl seemed crushed, suddenly deflated. But after a few moments, she bent down, picked up another starfish, and hurled it as far as she could into the ocean. Then she looked up at the man and replied,  “Well, I made a difference to that one!”
The old man looked at the girl inquisitively and thought about what she had done and said. Inspired, he joined the little girl in throwing starfish back into the sea. Soon others joined, and all the starfish were saved.

Working with the dogs is not always someone’s cup of tea, however you can volunteer or take supplies or even donate to a fund that you trust, they can always use our help, remember the shelter depends on us as do the dogs.

I will tell you, there is nothing more satisfying than to know “You” saved a dog from certain death and made someone the happiest person in the world because they now, have the perfect dog….Ken


If you have men who will exclude any of
God's creatures from the shelter of
Compassion and pity, you will have men
who will deal likewise with their fellow men.
St. Francis of Assisi