Sunday

Guess Who

“Dutchess…DUTCHESS…  Don't do that!” as she cocks her head from one side to the other.  Then it appears she wants to argue with me and barks, not once, but twice and then turns her head to the other side. Standing in front of  my recliner she wants me to get up out of my comfortable seat and get “her” ball from the ball drawer.

Dutchess is like a 3 year old human in a Border Collie body…I really do believe this.  Last night, it was her turn to come in for the night.  She, along with Abbie, Annie,  Meg and of course Clancy, were all getting ready to come into the house and bunk down for a night of sleep.  The only thing bad about that is you feel guilty leaving the other three dogs outside in their cozy kennel.  It’s tough to stay in the kennel because I'm sure their music is too loud or it’s on the wrong station. The ceiling fan is on too high  and is causing a draft, or the new Memory Foam dog mats are not as hard as the old ones. 
Their new Memory Foam Mats
However, 5 dogs inside is enough for any house and especially if Dutchess is one of the five!  Even by herself, she can be a handful because she is so smart AND mischievous.  At times I feel she should have been named “Denise the Menace” and my name should be Mr. Wilson.
She is so comical and has more facial expressions than any dog I have ever seen and she certainly knows how to use them to her advantage. 

It’s so odd that she and Molly are half sisters born only 2 weeks apart on a farm in Kentucky.  Molly is refined and elegant, not causing any trouble and will always do everything I ask. Dutchess is boisterous, unruly, disruptive and many other things that I don't have room to list. She ALSO has a heart of gold and will always flop over on her back  in my lap wanting me to rub her belly.

Dutchess can be a sweetheart. Once she did something that almost cut her life a little short.  She loves to run along beside  the 4-wheeler when I am out riding on  it.  All of the dogs do, but she is a fanatic about it.  I can just walk anywhere near it and go “vroom” and she is in a fever, dancing, turning circles and barking.  Well, on this particular day, I was on the 4-wheeler pulling a wagon full of mulch.  I was  making a  lot of stops and was getting  back on after one of those stops. Throwing one leg over the seat and “Bam” an excruciating pain shot through my ankle that took me to the ground.  I turned thinking I had been shot and Dutchess was dancing in circles wanting me to take off on the 4-wheeler and got a little too excited…..  "G%^#&*#   D@m F^#%!$  Dutchess you Bi$#@@"  I said, (translated; Good Girl Dutchess but you have hurt daddy)  She was as happy as she could be, just a little excited and her herding instinct kicked in and she wanted to move me along a little faster by nipping me.  She is so lucky that she did not go to the Rainbow Bridge that very day.  So now, when I ride the 4-wheeler, I always watch for her and watch my backside too.   Maybe it was her way of getting back at me for going “vroom” so many times and teasing her…
Dutchess...You're going to fall in..."I can get it....I can get it...Almost"...
Crap...
Dutchess can do anything she puts her mind to. She will think about it and usually figures out what she has to do to get what she wants and therein lies the problem.  She is a thinker and at times will out think me....Mr Wilson....are you home?  Yes, Denise the Menace, I'm home...Make yourself at home...."Always"...