Sunday

It’s A Wonderful Life…

On Saturday morning, I got up as 5:30 am as I usually do.  It was raining and the doors and windows were open because of the unusual cool nights.  Four of the dogs were in the house and were sleeping in various places and for some reason no one was on the bed at that particular time.  Clancy had spent the night outside and was sleeping next to the screen door looking so pitiful and dejected and of course, I let him in and in just a moment, he was on the bed between Elaine and me, his usual spot.  He nestled his body into position up near the pillow with his back to me.  I placed my arm around him as I have done so many times with my wife but the only difference was Clancy was in-between us.  I did something I hardly ever do and relish the thought of other people being able to do it too.  I went back to sleep in the comfort of things that make me happy and glad of the station of life I am experiencing now.  It’s a wonder Life I thought, and it is.
From the movie, “It’s a Wonder Life”
  • Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?
Funny, how this fits right in with my thoughts.  Each dog touches me and “you” in so many ways and when they are no longer around it does leave an awful hole, and it has at times.
  • You see, George, you've really had a wonderful life. Don't you see what a mistake it would be to throw it away?
At times, I have failed with my dogs, failed miserable.  Yes, they get to run and romp and play all day but what do I really do with them, basic needs are met but they need structure.  Elaine and I have talked and we both agree that they need more and I challenge you to think along this line too and to do something about it.  Not only will your dog benefit from it, you, AND other people will too.   Most dogs will be very content lying around and going for an occasional walk or just tossing a ball or Frisbee once in awhile, but border collies are different, they need more and when you see the satisfaction in their eyes and body, you get that feeling that you have succeeded and you have.  We all know that a tired border collie is a happy border collie and I will tell you, every time I have taken mine out and fed their needs, not only were they satisfied, I was too.  It’s not always about how much space or land you have, it’s about how you funnel their energy and work their mind.  I've seen dogs ruined that had 100 acres of land to run on because the owner “Just let them run” and I've seen dogs in a apartment that have a very satisfied life because the owner did what it took and was responsible. 
Most people think that a border collie needs to only herd sheep.  I know of two special border collies that herd sheep on their farm and if that’s not enough, one is a certified Therapy Dog and the other will soon be, and not only will the owner work with kids in therapy work with the dogs, the son is getting certified too.  
You see it is a wonderful life and this week we sent home many wonderful pups to start their life with their new owners and I know that they will enhance everyones life they touch, if only allowed.  

Keep your mind open and look for the potential and possibilities of enhancing your dog’s life AND your life too.   It’s there; we just need to let it out. 

If I was in a hospital bed or in a facility that was caring for me, what a joy, if through that door walked “Abby the Border Collie”,  a therapy dog right here in my hometown and she got into my bed and  nestled her body up near the pillow and allowed me to drift back to “my” wonderful life, what a comfort that would be.

  • You see, George, you've really had a wonderful life. Don't you see what a mistake it would be to throw it away?
Get involved with your dog and make it a wonderful life for both of you....  Ken