Sunday

Type "A" I Am..

HELP…..
Whoa, slow down Ken, I keep telling myself.  It’s been a very busy 2 weeks and being I am a type “A” person, things and projects seem to back up here on the farm and on my mind…  I have known this for my entire life, and it can be a curse at times and who would think that a Type “A” person would have Type “A” dogs.  For those who know me, I'm sure they can see this in me and may even feel sorry for me.  If I want it, I buy it or build it and I will just “Git-R-Done no matter what it takes.  There's no way I could put a deposit on a pup and wait, I want everything now.
I was lucky to retire when I was in my early 40’s but worked a few jobs because I just wanted to do something and one of the best jobs after retirement was working as a Vet Tech in an animal clinic.  Who would have ever guessed that experience would pay off.  Funny how things work out.
Traits of Type A Behavior
Key Characteristics:


  • Time Urgency and Impatience, as demonstrated by people who, among other things, get frustrated while waiting in line, interrupt others often, walk or talk at a rapid pace, and are always painfully aware of the time and how little of it they have to spare.
  • Competitiveness
  • Multitasking
Yep this fits me, and I was thinking, is this why I picked Border Collies to be “my” breed?  Wow, this is kind of scary, but when I think of it, almost everyone I can think of that has one of our dogs have a small part of a Type “A” in them too. 
Let’s look at the dogs… Impatience, Oh yes, If I don’t pick up the ball or Frisbee fast enough, Abbie and Dutchess will re-pick it up and put it where I can see it better and even when I am reaching for it.  They will still move it as if saying “for the love of God, pick it up and throw it, we're in a hurry” Now I really don't know why they are in a hurry, but they are…

Competitiveness: We don't even need to go there because all of my dogs will hurt themselves getting to a ball, Frisbee or just running around the lake, there is no stopping them, not even trees or blackberry bushes.

Multitasking…Oh yes again.  They will eat on the run, play on the run and once while Dutchess was in the middle of breeding and I mean in the middle, she had a Frisbee in her mouth the whole time so she could get a start on play time when they were finished, poor Clancy.
As I said, it has been a busy week, and we have had visitors here at the farm, and it forces me to relax and slow down, but in my mind, I’m always thinking about the next project.  As most of you know, we have pups now, and they are a treasure to have and lots of fun to play with, but I am thinking about the “Projects” that are to come.
Back to the “help” at hand, as I was growing up, I always heard all the old folks talking about when they retired, they were so busy, and in mind, I thought they were crazy.  Well, I'm crazy now because it’s true.  I don't know how I can even stay even, much less not falling behind.  No life of sleeping late, it's 5:30 every morning because the early bird needs to catch the worm.  I have become an expert at multitasking even when I cut grass.  Abbie will drop the tennis ball or Frisbee in front of the mower as I cut grass and I have two decisions.  Cut it up or stop and throw it, the latter to their delight and is what I usually do, but I will tell you, I have run over a few balls and again to their delight, they do fly but only once, plenty for everyone to get a piece.  Planting the garden is always helpful, "everyone" digs in the garden, and they must think we're digging for tennis balls and Doc will dig on his own because I can always tell, he comes to me with a dirty nose.

All in all, it’s a good fit, and I wouldn't have it any other way.  I have seen funny photos of people who look like their dogs whether it’s the hair or some other feature. 

Please, if you come to the farm for a visit and I have I tennis ball in my mouth, it’s OK to tell me, I'm just multitasking….You are by the company you keep, God help me....