Sunday

Daddy…Daddy…Daddy…


Daddy…Daddy…Daddy…
I have heard those words spoken in rapid succession a thousand times and yesterday I came close to hearing them again.  When my oldest son was small, he would say Daddy… Daddy…Daddy… can I, Will you, please let me…you get the picture, but one time we were having a garage built and they dropped off a big yellow backhoe the night before they started the project. 

When my son got home from pre-school and went out the back door to play on his swing set, there it sits.  He was infatuated with construction equipment and he had all the Tonka toys that were ever made filling his little sandbox.  
He shouted at the top of his lungs, “DADDY…DADDY…DADDY…THANK YOU SO MUCH, It’s what I always wanted, my very own big boy yellow tractor…THANK YOU” along with a big hug around my leg.  Now I was in a dilemma, what to say and what to do.  I told him I only had enough money to buy it for one day and it had to go to another little boy tomorrow.  I was his hero for at least that night.  He played and played and has the best time pretending to drive his big yellow tractor. 
Yesterday we let the chickens out of the coop for the first time.  It was a big event for them and for us too.  The chickens were in the barnyard picking and scratching and having a big time.  They are in their own little barnyard that is protected by fencing from the sides and from above.  We have hawks and owls that will get them if given the chance so I built it well just to make sure they are safe.
Here she came running as fast as she could, she was on a mission, and she saw something she wanted.  Annie had seen the chickens in their barnyard and was so excited and for one small moment, I could hear those words Daddy…Daddy...Daddy…Thank you. 
The look in Annie’s eyes and her hopping and skipping and turning in circles told me I had made her day.  She would look from the side, then look from the back and wiggle on the ground for a closer look just to make sure she didn't miss any movement.  It didn't seem to bother the chickens but it made Annie’s day.
Gabby saw the hullabaloo and wondered what was going on and came for a look see herself.  She watched for a few moments but soon lost interest and moved on.  My other surprise came when Molly came for a look see too and shown interest and actually hopped, skipped and  pranced and became excited when they would move. 

 It was a grand day and everyone was happy except when I told Abbie that she could not hurt the chickens or play with them because they will bring us food.  From the back of the barnyard, I heard a voice “FOOD”?   Dutchess, we have had this talk before and remember it’s not for you, it’s for all of us.  “When will they bring it…I’m hungry now, what kind of food will they bring”?  Dutchess…that’s enough
All in all, it was exciting to see Annie happy with her new "toys" and for a brief moment it was nice to have  thought I heard  Daddy…Daddy…Daddy... can I…

I love you son...