Sunday

How Can I Help You?


Ring…Ring…Ring…
Veterinary Clinic, can I help you…
Oh, I’m sorry Mr. Shuck, I didn't recognize your voice… and to think we talked last week when you brought Dutchess in for stitches…She is Beautiful, How is she doing…and your other dogs?
Clancy…Have we seen him before?  I didn't think so, but we've seen your other 6 haven’t we…
What seems to be the problem?
He did what?
Yes, we can see him  right now, we’re closing, but you’re one of our best customers; In fact, your dogs might be on the cover of our calendar next year.
 we’ll wait for you….
As I made this call, I realized that I made one last week and several times before and I almost know the number without looking.
Here we were, walking through the woods while the dogs were whizzing by us like  flashes of lighting.  I looked down and saw a patch of fur and hair stuck on a stick that was protruding from a tree.  In my mind’s eye, I just knew it was one of our dogs. 
Everyone ran and scampered in the snow, having a good time, but I just knew there might be a problem.
After examining him, Elaine found it, the call was made, no question, he needs to go in and of course, its closing time on a Saturday.  Why can’t this stuff happen when the office is open?  Clancy had snagged his skin on that very branch that I saw and he needed stitches.
How active is a Border Collie…Here is an excerpt from a website about Border Collies…

 Question: What is the worst thing about Border Collies?
 Answer: Border Collies are extremely intelligent and active dogs. Intelligence and hyperactivity are not characteristics that most people are capable of handling.  Border Collies need constant attention and if they are not true working dogs, they need to be given "chores" and "tasks" around the home to serve as outlets for their boundless energy. If no outlet is given, they will find one on their own (generally one not desirable).  Being smart allows them to learn quickly, not only how to behave but also how to get into trouble.  It is not easy to "fool" a Border Collie into doing or not doing something.  You must always be one step ahead of them and sometimes it isn't so easy.  The hyperactivity is also something you must think long and hard about. Some individuals are certainly calmer and less active than others but the breed as a whole, because of their breeding goals, is highly active. If you live in a small apartment or have no place to run the dog in wide open spaces, I think another breed of dog would be better suited for your circumstances. If you want a dog that lies around the house most of the time, is rarely noticed, and is generally unobtrusive, then a Border Collie is not for you. They demand (literally demand) lots of attention and lots of activity. If you do not have the time or energy to devote to the dog, then there are better choices.

All in all, Clancy is fine and will heal nicely as will Dutchess.  The important thing, is to know when to call the Vet.  Remember, they are the Professionals and you can't beat a Professional at their own profession.  They are the experts.
Are Border Collies active?  Oh Yes! They will put their heart into anything they do even if it's licking your eyebrows off or putting their cold nose under your arm as you type or when they are sleeping in your lap.  Whatever they do, they do it with gusto and with all of their heart.  If you own a Border Collie, you know exactly know what I mean...
My dogs play hard, very hard and I can only assume that most border collies do too.  I have seen a bad Frisbee toss go into the woods and all of them head into the trees and I cringe, thinking that any one of them could hit a tree and cause a head injury, I've seen all of them charge into a thicket of briers like it wasn't even there, all because they wanted to go through it.  Border Collies are all action when they play, but are the sweetest of all dogs too.  I have found that as hard as they play, they love just as hard...and give all of themselves.  If you own a Border Collie or are wanting a Border Collie, just know they need a little more than other dogs and give me a call, I've got a number for a good Vet...
I say this as Dutchess puts her cold nose under my arm as I type this post and see the pretty blue stitches in her lip from playing so hard last week.....

Mr Shuck, just to let you know, we have already booked an appointment for you next week...
No it's not for a routine visit, it's for anything that may come up...Thank you for your visit today.
"Thanks"