Sunday

So Long Son...

I remember so well saying those words several years ago when my oldest son went off to college.  I also remember standing at the front door and watching him pull away in the car and knowing that he would never “really” live with us again, his life was changing for the better, he was going on a great adventure, but it still made me sad to see him go.  We had a special bond, we were close and I shed a tear as he left because my life was changing…

Kemba came to stay with us last week and has been here for a little over a week.  We were very excited when we got the call to board him while his human parents were on vacation.  When he arrived, he ran and jumped and came to greet us once again, giving us many kisses upon arrival.  You see Kemba has been here many times before and is part of our own family, always fitting right in.  As we  were talking when he was dropped off by his human family, I was told some news I didn’t want to hear.  This would probably be the last time we would see him… He was moving very far away…my heart sank and I had a knot in my stomach.  Knowing this as he was dropped off, my mind starting thinking of all the good times we have had in the last year or so.  He is leaving today and it will be bitter sweet and sad and I will miss him.  He is just one of those dogs that captures your heart and latches onto it.  He is very well behaved and will take commands without hesitation, even showing my dogs how it's done.
Kemba was born in March of 2011 and he is the product of Clancy and Meg and was one of 4 males born to a litter that only had 1 girl.  I remember so well when the time came, Meg and I were sitting on the couch and I was rubbing her back for comfort.   I had made her a pallet because I knew she was close and was starting to go into labor and as she was lying next to me, I felt my leg get warm and when I looked down a little bundle of life was next to me.  Meg had delivered the first pup and it was Kemba.
Just like when the kids leave, whether its marriage, college ,moving away or a new job, you always wonder if they are OK and things are good.  You want the best for them even though it’s painful because that’s what a parent’s job is.  I have solace in knowing that Kemba will do well, because his human parents have done a wonderful job with him.  He is a true border collie in every aspect, he loves to run and play and is a whizz at playing Frisbee and ball.  I call him the “little sneak” because he hides behind my back and grabs the Frisbee before I can throw it. 

video
It's sad not knowing if we will ever see Kemba again, but I  take great pleasure in knowing that he is one of us and always will be.  As they were pulling away, I watched him from a distance knowing that he would never “really” live with us again, his life was changing for the better, he was going on a great adventure, but it still made me sad to see him go.  We have a special bond and are close.  I shed a tear as he left because my life was changing once again…

Goodbye, "little sneak," you always made me smile,  Dad…

I take great joy in hearing about our dogs and pups and nothing thrills me more than to get updates on their life and see them through words, photos or visits, no matter how far or close they are.  As I have always said, "It might be your dog, but it will always be my pup"  That part of their life is deeply rooted and will always be mine to keep and treasure... Ken