Sunday

Abbie-Dabby-Do



What a sweetheart, my little Dabby-do, or to most, Abbie.  She is the product of Molly Mae and Clancy and was born Abbigale Leigh in April, 2008.  She has been with for a number of years and is with us because she came back to us, but that’s OK because she is a big part of our dog family.  We are presently trying to keep Clancy away from the girls (if you know what I mean) and he has been with us inside the house most of the time with Abbie and Molly.  Elaine said last night that with all three, it is our little family, Molly the mom, Clancy the dad and of course Abbie-Dabby-Do, the child.  You can certainly tell Abbie is the offspring of the two of them because she acts like both of them in many ways. She is loving but stern when she needs to protect me or get the other dogs in shape but she does pick her battles very carefully because she is the smallest.
Yesterday, while everyone was busy, Abbie and I went to the hot tub and relaxed a little.  Abbie has a routine, she will get on the corner and just watch me and every move I make, but that changed just a little.  While sitting and watching from her perch, she spied a tennis ball and jumped down and got it. She wanted to play, but didn’t know what to do with the ball.  As she was standing on her hind feet with the ball in her mouth looking at me in the water, I said “drop it” and she did.  I was a little surprised because we have never taught her that command, but she did.  I threw it again and again from the hot tub and she caught it and came to me, everytime doing what I wanted and for a brief moment I said to myself “can she understand me?”  I thought about it for a few minutes and thought about all the times I talk to my dogs and they seem to know what I wanted.  Are they smarter than we think?  Probably so, how many times do they do things to make our day a little better or seem to know what we need at that very moment.  I can think of a few times that they were right by my side and at just the right time that I needed them.  I know there have been many studies done and they say they can border collies can learn over 3000 words, I just hope she didn’t hear all the words that I have said at times.

Billy Graham once said "Heaven is the place of final and complete happiness, God has prepared for us - and if animals are necessary to make us happy in heaven, then you can be sure God will have them there." It is a reality that we will “all” cross over that bridge one day and if what Dr Graham said is true, then what a day that will be. I can just see it, First Clancy will meet me along with Molly, our first dogs, then Dutchess and Meg along with Abbie, Annie and even little Gabby, all running and turning circles, barking and jumping ,wanting their time with me.  Next to show up would be a special visit from Shepp and even Max our very first Border Collie who is responsible for starting our love for the BC breed.  They would take me to the places that they liked to visit but then we would all go to an open field with a lake much like ours here at the farm. What a beautiful place it would be, just like home, and the old days when we were healthy and happy and strong, but this would be heaven and everything would be right and good. After standing and looking at each other for a few minutes,
Dutchess would turn to me and in her own voice would speak.  I heard her but could not believe my ears. I was dumbfounded, I could not believe it, my mind went blank for a moment, I said “What, What did you say” And again with her mouth and her lips moving, she looked at me and with much fortitude, she said it again and then again just to make sure I heard her…”Did you bring the Jolly Ball?”…only Dutchess, My Beloved companion…

What would your dog say to you...
Max, our first...