Saturday

Wonder What The Dogs Are Doing?

Well here we are going on vacation, without the dogs, we tried to take them, but Dutchess didn't want to wear her "Service Dog Vest" even through her service would be to "keep 'em coming" to me, I'm on vacation, but no little umbrellas please,.  When we go, It's a real dilemma to find someone that is reliable that we can trust with the dogs.  If you think it's hard to find a kennel or someone with one or two dogs, try it with 6 dogs.  Some people will run when you mention it and if you board them at a kennel, then they are stuck in a small pin for 2 weeks while we're gone.  I have had a few success stories and it has worked out great, but I have had some disasters too.  I once found women's clothing in my bed and a young man was staying here and I don't want to even think about it.  Once when we got home, there was a phone message from a neighbor asking "Did you know your dogs are running in the road"  I ran to the kennel just to check, they were all there, Whew...but it seemed that the dog's had a lot of free time in our absence, maybe the women's clothi...  never mind lets not go there...

As we were pulling away today, I turned to Elaine and said, "wonder what the dogs are doing".  We always look at each other and a sign of panic comes across our faces and then we snicker and say, "Oh, they're fine".  If you have ever left your dog or dogs, you do worry about them, because no one can watch or love them as much as you can.  Trust me, I feel your pain, I have been there.  Many times we have been on a cruise and we were sitting on the fantail of the ship with a glass of wine and one of us will look at the other and say "wonder what the dogs are doing"  and then we will try to guess and I'm sure we're never right.  There are so many things that will go through your mind.  You worry if they will eat, get hurt, get cranky with each other or "run in the road"  just don't let Dutchess see the women's clothing...she'll have them on...
When we watch someone else's dog, we try to post info to their email or on our facebook.  That's why you will see a lot of photos of a guest dog that is at our house.  Most people have smart phones and can connect and check in, just to make sure.  I don't mind because I enjoy taking the photos and being with the dogs and it makes the owners feel better.
Come back soon...
This year, we were so fortunate that we found someone that knew us, our dogs and the layout of the land.  Daniel and Chrystal Tingley are taking a vacation from their job and home and are staying at our house.  They brought Hope, Sofe and Gunny.  I watch their dogs sometimes and they are dreamboats, they behave so well.  Their dogs know my dogs  and everyone gets along fine. 
I know we will still ask each other, "wonder what the dogs are doing", but at least we can take comfort in knowing they won't be in the road, or wearing strange clothing.  Thanks Daniel and Chrystal, your the best...Give them a hug, we miss them....Ken & Elaine