Sunday

They Grow So Fast

This has been a wonderful week, in fact; it has been a great 2 months. We have had a couple of sets of pups (lots of hugs and licks), met a lot of wonderful people that took a bundle of joy to their home and we shared time on the weekends with some amazing dogs and people who came for a visit. All in all, we have had a good summer except for the dry weather and the heat. One of the most amazing things thus far is, you got it, is “The Jolly Ball”. It has been so much fun and it’s indestructible, so far.
This has been a busy summer with boarders and we have had great dogs staying at the farm while their human owners went on vacation. Everyone has gotten along great and many lasting friendships have been made. It amazes me that you can get as many as 14 border collies together and they all get along with each other. We have had some nips and growls at times, the worst when Abbie and a guest dog were going after a ball under a chair and Abbie went for the nip and took off part of the tip of the guest dog’s ear. After some blood and a call to a friend that is a Vet, off we went to the local vet here in Columbus, just to have peace of mind and to make sure there were no problems down the road. Everything was fine and some antibiotic powder did the trick. Whew…..Abbie of course went to time out for a while, but no fights or problems other than that. Abbie, Bad Girl….

One thing I enjoy so much is how a dog that is staying for a week or so will transform into a new dog, something most people don’t ever get to see. Let me explain. It always starts out the same. Let’s face it, it can be a little intimidating when you pull into the driveway and 6 border collies run at the front of your car as fast as they can sending shivers down your spine and the truth is, they also do this to me when I leave and come back, I get the same treatment too. If you’re an active reader of the posts, you know Dutchess is the worst and will get in your car or jump on the side. Any door is an open invitation to enter your vehicle just so she can explore and gobble any and all snacks. Let’s just say, she has a very good southern custom of making herself at home, even if it’s your car. Dutchess, Bad Girl…

If you think you’re intimidated, think how your dog may feel when they get swamped by six noses that are poking you in the ears, mouth, woo-woo and butt just to see and smell where you have been and what your last meal was. After that, it’s game on unless the dog comes in with an attitude and then it’s Alpha instructions by Clancy and the new pecking order is established and I assure you, the guest dog is at the bottom of this pecking order, Clancy is very good with the instructions and will quickly take care of that. With that out of the way, then it’s a dash to the water and play time, because if someone comes over, It’s a Dutchess rule that you must play before anything else and we usually do. Last night, everyone was on the porch lying under the fan, Captain “Jack” and Annie were nowhere to be seen, but I wasn’t worried, I knew right where they were. I went to the lake and like children, they were playing and jumping in and out of the water together, having a blast.

Clancy

Clancy
 
Meg

As I have said, boarding is enjoyable but for a reason you may have never thought of. As you know, we usually board only our dogs. This is for a reason, not only do we meet wonderful people, we get to see a dog that we cuddled and held and started its life that brought love and joy to people like us. But the other reason is, although the dog is a product of ours, it’s really a product of Molly, Dutchess, Meg and Clancy. I think it is so obvious that I love my dogs but I am starting to see signs of ageing. Just a day ago, Elaine said “have you seen the gray on Dutchess face”, well I have, and I see it in all of the dogs. 
Meg
  
Molly
It seems like it was just a couple of months ago that we were going through puppy training with them and now, they are getting a little gray and a little slower. There not old by any means in dog years, but I do see a little change. I see their battle scars where they played hard and a few missing teeth where they caught a Frisbee the wrong way.  Elaine and I have attended events that “our” pups have competed in, we sat in the stands and cheered like it was our son or daughter and enjoyed every moment. When someone sends us photos, I will send them to Elaine at work or we will look at the Facebook site together and marvel at the post of our dogs that we see posted by their owners. Just last night, we saw “Nellie” bring and sort sheep to catch and load a ram for a customer, we were so proud and when I looked back at Elaine, I saw that big crocodile tear trying to escape and she said, “That’s our Nellie” and it was. I’ve seen "Hope" and "Sofe" play and have played with them, but I am playing with part of Molly and Clancy too as with all the dogs that come to stay with us, the're part of us and our pack. 
Molly
It is nice to see dogs and return and stay, we do enjoy them to visit, but when I look at them, I really see a young Molly, Dutchess, Meg and Clancy. I see their spots, colors and even their mannerisms, and in your dog, I see my dogs and that’s something that is pretty special. As long as your dogs are alive, mine will always be here too. The thought of mine crossing the bridge, sends shivers through me and it’s something I can’t even think of, but all life has death, so cherish the life of your dog now, because it’s so short and they grow so fast. Give your dog a hug today…I know I will... Ken

Molly, Dutchess, Meg and Clancy...Good Dogs...