Sunday

Tess Comes Home

Tess has come full circle and she arrived Saturday Morning via Delta flight 1618 departing Orlando at about 7:30 am. She was picked up by her new owner and brought down to the farm for a little debriefing and just to get back on the ground before she goes to her forever home.  She will also play with our pack just to get socialized a little more.
Tess was a dog that originally went to her forever home and her owner unexpectedly passed away and she needed a new home. Karen, the original owner who passed, has a daughter that took her home to Florida just to give her a temporary home. After my original post, many people wanted to help including a family in Florida that was willing to give Tess a home hoping that it would work with their Border Collie. Because Tess was at that possessive stage, things did not go as smooth as everyone had planned and we still needed to fine Tess a forever home. An email was sent to me from her caregiver and I made one small post on the “Shuck’s Border Collie” Facebook page and within seconds, I received a call and noticed I had 6 private messages in my inbox. Needless to say, people were again willing to help out in any way that they could and just everyone wanted to find Tess a good and forever home.

I thought about Tess all day on the flight day because I knew she would be in a crate in a cargo hole on a big plane. I know I get the willies when I fly and can’t imagine how scared a little 5 month old pup would be. She had to change planes in Atlanta, doesn’t everybody, I guess dogs are the same about changing planes too and then on to Indianapolis.

The new owners and I had made plans to bring her back to the farm as I said earlier just to re-adjust her because so much has gone on in her life and Saturday was packed full. When I knew she was getting close to the farm, I got a little nervous and a little excited to see her. I wonder how she would act and will she remember the farm or me. All the dogs were put up, (because as we all know, the dogs will get in the car with anyone) and when the new owners arrived Tess was a little scared and unsure about the new place. I gave my distinctive yelp which we do with all the pups. “Here Pup, Here Pup” and her head snapped my way and out she rolled straight to me. Tess was home, she smelled me and she was around familiar surroundings. She was a little unsure of all the big dogs at first but as the afternoon wore on, she was playing and trying to fit in, which she did.

We all went to play near the water and had plenty of tennis balls and a Frisbee for Dutchess and Meg. Tess did very well and can catch and even fetch, bringing back the ball right back to your feet. She is a little pistol and is very loving; jumping on everyone’s to get some love and attention. As the owners were getting ready to leave, I started to put the dogs up, not wanting my dogs to get in their car, so I called mine and as they were walking to the kennel, I called Tess “Here Pup, Here Pup” and Tess came running and went inside her old kennel area where she was born and raised and spent her young life playing with her litter mates.

It’s always good to see our pups again, I am so sorry for the sudden death of Karen and know her family is grieving, but know again, with all the power I have, I want my pups to be happy and if it wasn’t for the help of many people who shared cost, made arrangements and the many people who went out of their way to help little Tess, none of this would be possible and she might be in a shelter or worse.
Thank you all for your help. My heart also goes out to the special couple in Florida who gave Tess a home, even if it was temporary. As I write this, I know your heart broke as you put little Tess on that plane saying goodbye knowing you will never see her again. Thank you for your understanding and doing what was best for her. The right decisions are not always the easiest.  I know.   I’ve been there. There is not a day that passes that I don’t think of our Max and Shepp, wondering what they are doing. In my heart, I know they are both fine. Thanks Karen, Rest in Peace, your little girl is just beautiful…and will be well taken care of, just as you wanted.

Note, Last week was the first time in over 3 years that I did not post.  If you don't follow "Shuck's Border Collies" on Facebook, I had to rush Meg to the emergency Vet Sunday morning and that is when I write this post.  Meg is fine.

Follow us, a daily update of what we do on the farm,
Shuck's Border Collies