Sunday

I Remember...



I remember October 2010 when Molly had 10 healthy pups and we were amazed. They were so beautiful and colorful.
I remember when one went home on Christmas Eve of 2010
I remember a new family was so excited
I remember when I got “that” phone call a year later
I remember “We need to bring him back”
I remember how scared he was when he got here
I remember when he growled at me
I remember how hard I worked and got his trust
I remember how he would follow me every where
I remember when he licked my face and got in my lap
I remember when I got a phone call; I’m looking for a dog at least a year old
I remember how scared “I” was
I remember how excited the new owner was
I remember telling the new owner, "This is going to be hard for me"
I remember her telling me, "We'll take care of him"
I remember how lonely it was driving home from Cincinnati last week
I remember the pain and miss him
Bodie, I will always remember you……
Bodie was a dog that captured my heart. He was a beautiful pup that jumped, played and was full of life. He did come back home to us in December because of financial reasons and it was with many regrets from his owner, they loved him very much.  There was nothing to do but welcome him into our pack, but he was a little shy and reserved. The first day, he growled at me as I was taking his collar off and we had my “Come to Jesus” talk and from that point on, he knew, “I” not “He” was the boss of these parts and we never had a problem except once when I was brushing his tail and he growled again. I pushed his head down and said “Bodie, hush” and that was it. Never again. We make a practice of not keeping a dog that is returned to us for several reasons, (except Abbie). The biggest reason is we don’t have the kennel space. I would gladly keep them all if I could. I wanted to evaluate him and make sure he would fit in, so, I took my time with him and worked hard. Bodie did have a few problems; however none of them were very serious and I think he is just a pup in a 14 month old dog. He thought he was the boss and wanted to show it. The more he stayed here, the more he fit in. He got along great with all the dogs and loved to come in the house. We taught him some basic things and he loved to play. He is an expert at playing ball and is completely house broken. He’s a great bed buddy and loves to sleep right next to anyone but loved to sit between Elaine and I, watching TV and eating popcorn, but Bodie prefers the Kettle Korn.
I took Bodie to Cincinnati to meet his new owner on Tuesday which was a half way point for both of us. They live on nearly 400 acres two hours east of Cincinnati and have everything any dog could possibility want or need. He jumped into the front seat and off they went. My drive back after transferring him, was very bitter sweet and I missed him so, as we had become great friends. I remember Elaine and I talking about what we wanted for him and what we thought Bodie needed in a forever home and in our mind, we made our list. The night before he left while he was asleep in my lap, Elaine spoke up and said. “You remember what we wanted for Bodie” and when we thought back, he was going to exactly what we had wanted for him, I guess the fate gods worked again.

Bodie is a wonderful dog, he was a little slow relaxing and getting close to us, but when he did, he was very gentle, sweet and loving. He captured my heart and I his. I do miss him and wonder what he is doing throughout the day. The hard part about raising pups for me, I like keeping up with them as adults, I see the good as well as the bad things that happen in their life. I try very hard to keep in contact with all of our dog owners via emails or phone calls. I love the good things that happen in their life whether it’s awards or a competition they are in or just a lap to sleep in, but I hate to get “that” email “Ken, We are just devastated, the worst thing happened today…..” I know I can never feel their pain, but I have shed many tears over my little ones and I always flash back to those little faces in the kennel cocking their head from one side and then to the other as I sing to them or I watch them run as fast as they can and tumble as they turn a corner, getting up and going for more.  
Bodie has a chance to be the luckiest dog in the world. I hope he warms up to his new owners and will love them as he loved me. There are a lot of people pulling for him and want nothing other than him to be happy and content. As always, if it doesn’t work out, there is a place in my lap and Kettle Korn in the cabinet, you’ll just have to share Bodie. You’re the first thing I think about when I rise and my last thought when I retire. Good Luck Bodie, There’s always tomorrow, never look back…..you have a bright future and many many years of running until your too tired to run anymore and then falling asleep with someone who loves you as much as I do… Dad