Sunday

How Do They Do It For You?



I have noticed that my dogs have become more loving in the last year or so. I don’t know what has brought this on, but it’s kind of nice. They are always full of love and kisses and want to be around us. They just seem to be more affectionate lately, let me tell you some examples.

Meg, she will come from anywhere when she sees me and will just sit by my side and look at me with those big brown eyes. She will stare a hole in me until I pet her and rub her face. I don’t mean just a pat on the head; I l have to stroke her head with both hands. I have heard from trainers that the way you respond to them is important. If my dogs are sitting, facing me; I will take both hands and rub from their snout to their neck. I will do this 8 to 10 times, they say this is the same expression as when they lick us, it’s just the human response. When Meggie sits in my lap, she loves to have her sides rubbed too.

Molly, is my heart dog. She will sit in the recliner next to mine (we have two of them sitting side by side). If I don’t pay attention to her, she will take her paw and put it on my arm and stroke my arm ever so gently. If I still don’t respond, she will move closer and whine a little, until I pay attention to her. What she really wants is for me to rub her head and ears. According to her, this should be done for hours on end. I don’t mind except I do enjoy my afternoon nap in the recliner. Something else Molly does when we are outside is to come up to me and put both her front paws on my hip. She will stay like this, until I respond and will even walk on her back legs if I begin to move. It’s cute, the two of us walking down the drive, her tagging along up on her back legs.

Abbie, OMG the poster child of affection. She must have been deprived as a pup because she certainly makes up for it now. I was under the truck two weeks ago doing some minor repairs and she trapped me. I was on my back looking at the bottom of the truck and she attacked me with her tongue. Abbie can lick your eyebrows right off your face. The bad part, if you object or try to restrain her, she feels that it’s just part of the game and will intensify her endeavor. Finally, still under the truck, I just gave in and let her gets her licks in. While Abbie was still getting her licks in, Meg joined in and I had both of them licking my face and neck. My face and neck were wet and my ears never felt so clean. Abbie always does this. In the mornings, when she sleeps with us, she stays in bed long after we have gotten up. At night she cuddles right up to us and gets very still, but once you move, you’re fair game and she starts her mega licking.

Dutchess, as I have said before, will knock you down loving you! I have seen her do this to people that come over to see the dogs. She will run toward you and when she is just a few feet away will turn and jump into you with her backside on just her back legs. She will then jump up and try to lick you in the face. I’ve never seen another dog do this. She will also run to me when I am in the recliner, jump in my lap, immediately flipping on her back, so I will rub her belly. She has nearly knocked both of us right out of the recliner.

Clancy is the quiet one. He doesn’t require much attention, he just wants to be near you. He loves to lick your leg or arm and will do this for what seems like hours on end. I used to think this was pretty yucky when I would see other peoples dogs do it to them, it’s kinda like having to kiss your sister, something you don’t ever want to do, but your mother makes you. But with Clancy, it’s different. I enjoy it and don’t really know why. I guess it’s his way of “petting” me. He’s always ready to give you a good washing. As I write this, he’s by my side licking my ankle.

Annie, doesn’t show too much love yet. She just drags my underwear and socks around the house. Maybe that’s her way. Lord help us…

I read an article several months ago about dogs licking a human in USA Today. It said it was something you should not do, because of germs. Have we become that sterile of a society that we should be afraid of a dog lick? I don’t think so, I can’t imagine a day without my “dog sugar”. Just my opinion.

If you want, let me know how your dog shows love to you.